Chapter twenty-one

Start from the beginning

Sophie shut off her phone and asked her parents if she could hang out at Biana's place today.

Edaline said yes.

Grady was still suspicious.

She ran upstairs to change, and brush her teeth and all that.

When she was done she put her shoes on and ran outside to where Tam was leaning on a black Porsche.

"Dude!" Sophie said.

"Yeah," Tam answered.

"Is this your car?"

"Yeah," he shrugged.

"It's awesome!"

He shrugged again.

Sophie rolled her eyes and climbed into the passenger seat.

Tam climbed into the drivers seat and they drove away from the house.

They drove in silence, it wasn't awkward silence, thank goodness, it was the kind of silence you had with a friend that you've known for years.

"You know," Tam said, breaking the silence, "I surprised you picked up on all of this so easily."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, it's been just about two weeks since you found out you had superpowers, that your parents volunteered for some experiment. That a criminal organization was hunting you down and you joined the Black Swan. I would've had a mental breakdown by now."

Sophie chuckled. "I guess it's kind of weird, but when Mr. Forkle explained everything, I was just like 'this is where I'm supposed to be.' If that makes sense at all."

"It does," Tam answered and they lapsed back into the comfortable silence until Tam pulled up at the field with the three trees.

They both got out of the Porsche.

"I'll race you there," Sophie challenged.

"No super speed?"

"No super speed."

They both placed a foot on the grass and Sophie counted to three.

"One, two, three, GO!"

They both ran as fast as the could. Sophie did her best not to use her super speed, and apparently it worked because Tam beat her by a foot to the middle tree.

"I win!" Tam declared.

"What do you want?" Sophie grumbled.

"What do you mean?" Tam mimicked

"As a prize."

"I don't know... Actually," he copied her evil smile. "When I get that makeover, you have to get one too."

"I said you get a prize, not I get a punishment," Sophie mimicked.

"My prize is your punishment."