Dragon

"So what do we do now?" Billie asked.

They were gathered around the edge of the pier, as close to mouth of the river as possible. Will was sleepily rubbing his eyes and leaning on Nico, who was alert and upright. Rowan figured that the son of Hades was accustomed to fatigue. Billie was chipper, despite having rolled off her swing when Rowan shook her awake.

As for Ethan, he had a permanent arm around either her shoulder or her waist. Rowan knew that he was afraid to let go, thinking she would disappear like a magic trick. Rowan saw the others giving them both strange looks, surprised that she didn't want to bite his head off anymore, but they didn't ask, so she didn't explain.

"I have a plan," Rowan said slowly, squinting at the sun. "It could be a horrible one."

The sun was a pinprick of light on the horizon, already making its rapid ascent. Rowan could foresee weather experts baffled by the sun's boost in speed – it would be directly overhead before noon, and so would Nezha.

"Better a horrible plan than none at all," Ethan said matter-of-factly.

Rowan hummed thoughtfully. "I said before that Nezha didn't want one of his friends to be sacrificed to the Dragon King. By sacrificed, I meant eaten."

Nico snorted. "The god we want help from could potentially eat us. Great."

"Let her finish," Will yawned.

"Anyway, the Dragon King sent Ao Bing, his third son, after Nezha severely injured a previous advisor. Nezha killed Ao Bing too, and the Dragon King confronted Nezha, threatening to flood his village and report him to the Jade Emperor.

"Nezha then killed himself to save his family and people, which was cause for the Dragon King's celebration, but he was brought back to life by his teacher, which is why he's chasing us as a god and not a ghost."

"How do you know all this?" Ethan frowned. "Mogwai are your forte, not gods."

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"I asked the same thing," Will said. "But what's Mogwai?"

Rowan and Ethan shared a hesitant glance.

"They're part of the world of demons and ghosts," Ethan shrugged. "Technically, it's not breaking the Oath."

"Yeah," Will chorused, pretending as if he knew what they were talking about. He pointed at Nico, who rolled his eyes. "This one's half ghost anyway."

"Okay Sunshine, not everyone has Haikus running through their veins."

"I'm a Hunter," Rowan said. "We capture and exterminate evil Chinese spirits, more commonly known as Mogwai."

"Pest control, basically," Ethan explained. "But the pests are ghosts, zombies and sometimes demons if someone's messed with something they really shouldn't have."

"That's why you can fight like that?" Nico asked, intrigued.

"I've been training since I was ten for the Hunter Trials – a series of tests that take place annually. Those who pass become certified Hunters."

Will whistled. "Gods, ten years old."

"There were highs and lows. Training wasn't easy." Rowan said. She glanced at the sun, now a semi-circle of red. "Anyway, the point of Nezha's story is that the Dragon King won't be happy he didn't stay dead. He'll want to confront him."

"You want to lure the Dragon King with Nezha, using us as bait," Nico snorted. "A god who might eat us, and another who wants to kill us."

"Nezha wanting us dead is definite – he doesn't want us helping the Jade Emperor return to power. The Dragon King wanting us served on a plate isn't guaranteed." Rowan said thoughtfully. "Nezha will spot us near the pier. The Dragon King will sense Nezha nearing his domain. Nezha will be too focused on us to notice the danger the Dragon King poses. The King won't pass up an opportunity like that."