Chapter 17

I watch in fear as Harry's boot makes contact with the front door, the door immediately bursting open and off its hinges. I expect to hear screams erupt from inside, but all I hear is silence. I restrain a sigh of relief, not wanting to make matters worse. Harry trudges around the quiet and dimly lit house, head whipping back and forth as he looks for any sign of life. But all that is left are four plates of steaming food left untouched on the dining room table, as if Matt's family had just sat down for lunch and was about to eat when Matt bursted in. My heart breaks for them. My heartbeat intensifies as I hear enraged curse words stream out of Harry's mouth. They must've gotten out just in time. I feel the weight lift off my shoulders. 

Harry sifts through the house, pushing furniture out of the way and ripping through closets to make sure no one is hiding. The house was left pretty untouched before Harry ransacked the place, which leads me to believe that they really just got up and left everything behind. I can't even imagine how scared Matt and his family must be. I hate that he thinks I took part in Harry's vicious acts. My eyes are still filled with tears as I watch Harry tear through each room.

When Harry is finished checking the place, he lets out an aggravated scream, sending his fist straight through the wall beside him. Chills run down my spine as his eyes slowly meet mine, his chest heaving with rapid breaths. He stomps over to me, each step making my stomach turn as my feet remain frozen to the floor. This man terrifies me so much when he acts like this. He reaches me and grabs me by my jacket, yanking my body towards his.

"You fucking bitch! Look what you did!" Harry roughly shouts, spit flying in my face as I close my eyes in fright.

"I'm sorry Harry

"I'm sorry Harry. He was my friend," I cry out in a choked sob, wincing from his hot, heavy breath.

"Bullshit!" Harry roars, firing his gun behind me. The bullet flies right past my head and hits the wall behind me. I let out a loud, piercing cry and cower in terror. Harry pulls me quickly up, his eyes blazing angrily into mine. His breathing is ragged as his chest heaves up and down.

"You could've just killed me, Harry!" I screech, pounding my fists on his chest so that he releases his grip on me. Harry stares back at me, his eyes wild and bewildered. He almost looks scared and taken aback by his action.

"You know I wouldn't do that, Sam," he replies, his voice softening and his breathing slowing down. He tries to reach out and touch me again but I back away.

"Stay away from me," I snap, voice clipped. "I clearly don't know shit, Harry!" I yell and his face scrunches with hurt.