Eighteen

"She's here!" Hobi exclaimed as Taehyung, and I walked through the door

"She's here!" Hobi exclaimed as Taehyung, and I walked through the door. "And she brought a date." He continued with his tease. It was clear what he insinuated.

I shot him a menacing glare while he closed the door. He frowned at me as if flatulence passed between us. I shook my head at him before grabbing his arm and pinching him. "It's so nice to see you too, Hobi." A sarcastic grin spread onto my lips.

"Ow. Okay, Okay, damn." Hobi muttered. "I was just teasing." He rubbed his arm and frowned. "But you look cute together."

"What-Hobi?" I couldn't even complete my statement. That was bold of him to say, even for him. What made him say that? Has Taehyung been telling him things?

Hobi shrugged. "Just saying."

"Mmhm," I rolled my eyes and walked away while he engaged in conversation with his friend that accompanied me. Taehyung didn't seem to mind this banter from the blush on his cheek. I shook my head and let them be. This is a battle I won't begin.

The invitation conceived a notion of a small crowd, but now I know better. Jungkook had a reasonably decent size place. His uncle owned the apartment building he lived in, so Jungkook renovated two spaces into his own little high-rise home. At a glance, I noticed Mae and a couple of other girls, none of them I recognize. Jimin was making himself acquainted as usual.

"River!" Jungkook called out. It seemed as if he couldn't get away from his cute visitor fast enough. He hugged me. "I'm happy you're here. Let me get you something to drink." He held my hand in his and led me to his kitchen.

"Kookie, what's up?" I asked after I glanced at the young lady he left, shooting daggers in our direction before cutting her sharp stare at me. "Your date doesn't seem pleased with you."

"Pfft. She's too clingy. She was fine when we went out a few times, but now she's a little pushy. That's not my thing." He explained while mixing a drink.

This didn't surprise me. Jungkook has always enjoyed a moderate flow with girls. He preferred things just to happen. Poor girl, she doesn't realize he dusted her. He won't talk to her again. "That better not be alcohol," I warned as I watched his concoction.

Jungkook grinned. "It's not, I promise. I wouldn't do that to you, River." He presented the glass to me, "try it."

Nervous I am. It's not that I don't trust Jungkook, but with parties and drinking, the trust might be a little skewed. I took a sip, and it tasted amazing. "Wow! It's great, Jungkook."

The proud smile on his face always warmed my heart. "I'm happy you like it! I made it for you and only you. It's my special blend of strawberry juice with ginger ale." He admitted.

"Mmm." I took another sip. "I thought there was something familiar about it. This is perfect! Thank you!" I stood on my tiptoes and gave him a quick brush of a kiss on his cheek. "You're too sweet to me."

Jungkook smile extended as the chocolate stars in his eyes disappeared. I've made him blush. "So, can I help with anything?" I offered.

"Nope! Just have fun." He glanced around before his eyes found mine again. "Come on, let's go talk with Jimin and Taehyung."

I nodded and followed him over to our other friends. Jimin greeted me with a hug as we joined in their conversation. I missed having him around, and we hadn't been able to catch up since he arrived. I blamed myself for this. Being caught with the drama at my new address made me unavailable to spend time with my friend. I'm hoping for maybe a little moment to hang out.

Our conversation carried over to us, grabbing food together. I hadn't realized how engrossed we were with each other, so much that Hobi had a crew of his own he laughed with. I recognized them from Jungkook's birthday party and stared subtly. My heart pounded with a thundering intent when I noticed Seokjin by their side as well. I'm sure this wasn't Jungkook's doing.

"Sorry, but Hobi asked," Jungkook whispered to me when he noticed me staring.

I shifted away from them quickly to focus on him. "It's fine; I mean, he can have other friends, right?" I shrugged. It wasn't even about him being a mutual friend to Seokjin's friends. It was more about this secret relationship between Seokjin and me, and I can't escape because our social circles have collided. Miss Choi's words go off like a bomb in my brain, replaying all the differences between him and me. Two people from two different sides of the track. It would never work.

"Yeah, but that's your boss River and let's be honest, I don't like him," Jungkook grunted.

My silence served as a reply. I could easily say he wasn't so bad, but I let it be. The less Jungkook and Hobi knew about my interactions with him outside of working hours, the better. I glanced at him once more-this time, I caught his stare. I turned away before I could decipher his look. As if that would help. The conversation we had before is all I thought about. He's jealous of his friends; how can that even be? Does Seokjin realize how handsome he is? There is a wonderful person beyond his beauty. Why would he think he would be exempt from love? We all make mistakes, but that doesn't mean that we don't deserve a chance to amend them.

"You're deep in thought." Taehyung's warm, velvet voice whispered, jarring me out of being buried in my head. I've always found his voice soothing, and I've never heard it above the gentle tone that made me smile.

His timing was impeccable. Seokjin is probably cartwheeling in his thoughts. He seemed so desperate about Taehyung and me. Seeing us now while creating more suspicions. "Sorry, my mind always has a million and one thoughts going on." I grinned.

"Let loose sometimes, River," Taehyung replied, throwing back in his bottle of beer. "Ah, and just relax." He smiled, moving in a little close. "It wouldn't hurt, you know."

A loss of breath betrayed me. Another aspect of Taehyung's voice, it's like butter with the thickness of honey. It used to make me weak, and I'm not so sure I'm over it. I can't. Friends, River, friends. Remember, you promise to be his friend to help him with the Sunhee mess. Don't forsake your word. "Take it easy, doc. Do I have to drive you home tonight?" I teased.

Taehyung shook his head. "Nope, I'm staying here with Jungkook and Jimin. I miss hanging out with them." He took another swig of his beer. "We need a boys' night."

Another warmth reached my heart. Seeing Taehyung, happy and free of his ex, made me happy, not to mention boys' night was cute coming from him. "You should do that! Have a boys' night!" I encouraged.

"Thank you, River!" Taehyung tugged on me gently for a friendly, heartfelt hug. I never understood why, but I felt safe with Taehyung. There was never any disruption between us other than Sunhee, but with psycho ex-wife aside, he made me whole. However, I couldn't help but laugh at his tipsy nature.

Breaking away, my gaze fell back to Seokjin, who glared at the good doctor and me. He still has his uncertainties; I can only guess.

Should I silence them?

↣ ♡ ♡ ↢

↣ ♡ 𝒸𝓊𝓅𝒾𝒹 ♡ ↢