𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 ]

"Hey Namjoon, I was wondering if I could call my mother? Jimin was supposed to tell you about it," I asked, stepping through his office door. We were leaving this cursed house tomorrow and, as Jimin had suggested, I wanted to contact my family before leaving. There was no saying when I'd next be able contact them, especially considering that we were moving so close to Seoul. The precautions that we would have to take were going to be intense.

"Oh, umm, yes... I remember." He swung around in his chair and lazily reached over for the phone, having to stretch when his fingers only grazed the plastic. I was surprised at this; normally he would just use his weird mind powers.

"How come you don't just...?" I waved my hands as if that would explain the point I was trying to get across. I was equally as astonished when he let out a weak smile. It wasn't exactly cheery but it was a step in the right direction

"I'm a bit drained, I think your enhancement has tired me out."

I paused, hands hesitating over the buttons on the phone that were patiently awaiting my home number to be typed in. "You can't use your enhancement?"

Namjoon seemed to have realised that we'd definitely missed a step, or three, in our previous conversation. He coughed, a blush painting his cheeks. "Yeah... that seems to be a consequence. Yoongi couldn't use his fire for a long while after helping you."

"That's what Yoongi meant when he said 'I've suffered the same thing'". The guilt was like a weight, pulling my heart down to the deep depths of my stomach like a shark pulling against a line. It made feel sick to think that I was plagued with this curse for the entirety of my life. I scoffed, a slight maniacal twinge attached to my laugh. "I should've known."

"Don't blame Yoongi too much. He's... got good intentions." Despite pausing mid-sentence, Namjoon seemed quite insistent with his reply.

"Yoongi hates me," I replied with an equal amount of absoluteness.

Namjoon seemed to find this quite amusing, leaning back in his chair as he gave me a skeptic once over. "Yoongi wouldn't go to the leaps and bounds, that he did to protect someone he didn't care about. Trust me, I'd know."

"What's that even supposed to mean?"

"I didn't get to the field for at least three hours after the plane departed. Me and Hoseok were defending the house for a long while; it seemed some of their little minions hadn't got the message to leave but Yoongi didn't abandon you once. He might be cold but he cares Hayeon. He'd be someone I'd suggest getting close to." Namjoon stood up from his swivel chair, stretching lightly and letting out a rambunctious yawn before turning back to me, "I'll leave you alone for a bit."

I stood in shock, mouth opening and closing like a dazed goldfish before shouting after him. Unfortunately for me, the boy had already scampered off in the opposite direction and I was left abandoned, the cool phone lying in my sweaty palms. Trying to shove his ominous message to the back of my mind, I turned my attention back towards the steadily approaching phone call. Of course I wanted to talk to my mother but the thought of lying to her made an acidic taste stick to the roof of my mouth.

With a slight tremor in my hand, I punched each number key and waited as the ominous ringtone blasted from the phone's speakers. When the noise suddenly cut off, I swear that I could feel ice crawling through my veins and I had to take a couple of breaths before lifting the phone to the ear.

The sudden blast of my sister's voice however, seemed to calm me down.

"Hello?" She said, that bored drawl that her voice always seemed to hold travelling down the line. I almost smirked, knowing she'd think of some torturous vengeance if I even dared to mention it.