The Wolves and the Wind

Something caught his eye, another shadow in the fog, but this one wasn't just an inanimate object, this one moved quickly, with a swiftness and lope only one animal had. It's eyes glinted a dim yellow.

Wolves.

"What was that," Anna had leaned down, his fur fisted in her hands. Her voice was almost inaudible.

Kristoff wanted to say, "it was the tigers," but that would be a bit inappropriate, plus he couldn't even say it.

The wolves began to close in, circling them menacingly. Anna had picked up on what they were, and was leaning herself tighter against Kristoff, frightened out of her mind.

Kristoff remembered the stories Grand Pabbie told him, of the people who needed to learn a lesson and were turned their totem animals, like he was, but some of them, despite the spirits, shunned their lessons and were trapped in an eternal madness, living the opposite of what their totem stood for, stuck as that animal.

The wolf totem represented wisdom and cunning, so these wolves were completely disoriented, and would do rash things for meat.

Kristoff knew what he had to do. He sat, Anna slowly sliding off his back.

"Kristoff," she murmured shakily, "what do we do." Kristoff envied her courage. She might die and she was wondering how she could act upon the situation. Kristoff shook his head, and pointed a claw to a nearby boulder. Anna nodded, understanding.

They slowly walked over to it. Attempting not to rally up the wolves. Anna used Kristoff as a kind of step stool, and Kristoff helped her up the last step, raising her foot with his nose.

The wolves closed in, drips of saliva hanging from their jaws. He could hear them panting, sniffing their soon-to-be meal.

Kristoff reared up menacingly. He roared.

Not on my watch.

____________________

"Amethyst, Amethyst say something please," Grand Pabbie's voice cracked, and burning tears threatened to leave his eyes, "please."

There nothing he could do now. He put an ear to the young girls chest, hearing it beat once... twice... so slowly. Grand Pabbie peeled of his coat, and shivered as the wind beat him hard. He shoved the coat over the girls shoulders, and picked her up.

He had no more hands for his lantern, so he took it up in his mouth and struggled through the storm, while the weak girl in his arms shivered to life.