Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

Growing up in Nanda Parbat you didn't have normal childhood experiences. As you are eagerly getting ready for work you imagine this is the meaning of a giddy school girl. You are excited to see Jonathan now that you expressed your feelings for each other and he promised not to shut you out again. You feel some weight lifted off your shoulders.

You hurry into work and also try to act natural so you don't draw attention to yourself. The elevator feels like it's moving in slow motion which is making you fidgety. Once it finally opens you scurry out and cross your fingers as you quickly glance around. No sign of anyone, thank you lord.

You fling Jonathan's door open and forget to knock so you startle him a little. "I'm so sorry Jonathan I forgot to knock, didn't mean to scare you."

He's sitting on his usual spot and giving you a strange look. Maybe he changed his mind. Maybe he doesn't want you here. "Jonathan?"

"I have to confess something." You feel your heart sink as he's talking. "I wasn't sure if my mind was playing cruel tricks on me and I hallucinated what happened last night, or if by some miracle it actually happened."

That makes you smile, and also makes the sinking feeling you had a moment ago dissipate. “I promise last night really happened.” He scoots over and pats the empty spot next to him. Without hesitation you sit down next to him. The moment you are seated he cups your cheek and crashes his lips against yours. You run your fingers through his hair and he runs a hand up your thigh. When you break apart you both smile bright at each other. Then suddenly his face turns serious. “(Y/N) how is this supposed to work if I’m stuck in here? What if we get caught and you get fired?”

“We will take it one day at a time and we’ll figure it out. I practically live here so you being stuck here as you say is alright. And I won’t get fired, I could get in trouble with the nursing board. I’ll just have to pull the ace out of my sleeve so to speak if it comes down to it.”

He looks at you confused. “I’ll let you in on a little secret. I can’t be fired if I’m the boss. I own Arkham. I’m the one that bought it and cleaned it up. I didn’t want anyone to know I was the owner, I just wanted to be a nurse. So I used a pseudonym and all contact is done through lawyers.”

He starts laughing. “You are full of all kinds of secrets aren’t you. You are a clever girl just as I said when we first met.” He grabs your hand and laces your fingers together. “What about the reason I’m here? What about Scarecrow?”

“What about him. Is he feeling left out? I’ll kiss him too if he wants to come out.” Jonathan just gives you a look. You were just trying to lighten the mood a little. You know that’s not what he meant. “I don’t know all of your past, but I know some of it. I know some of the things both you and Scarecrow have done. But I don’t care about the past because that’s exactly what it is, the past. He doesn’t bother me or scare me. I’ve put him in his place a few times you know that. Scarecrow came to be, because you needed him for some reason so he’s a part of you. You’re a package deal. So I care about all of you.”

You can see his eyes watering so you pull him to you and wrap your arms around him. He whispers to you. “I don’t deserve you. But I’m too selfish to let you go now that I have you.” He pulls back so he can see your face. “I’ve never really been in a relationship before and this isn’t exactly conventional so I have no idea what I’m doing. But I guess like you said, one day at a time.”

“I’ve only been in one relationship before. I haven’t been with anyone since I left……..left home six years ago.” You shake your head at yourself. You almost said Bane’s name out loud, and then you start to get that guilty feeling. You promised yourself you would let go and move on so you try pushing those thoughts aside.