Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

You're sitting in the library watching Jonathan scowl at the selection of books. 

It's been a couple months since he arrived. You haven’t seen Scarecrow for quite some time. You and Jonathan have become friends. Your inappropriate thoughts haven’t wavered though. 

When you take the time to get to know Jonathan Crane you get to see there is more to him than what meets the eye. He’s extremely smart, but he’s also surprisingly shy and sweet. He has a sarcastic and funny side to him as well. One thing you both avoid though is talking about your pasts and your families. He hasn't brought up yours since the day he told you he knew your real name.

“I told you Jonathan, you wouldn’t like any of the books in here. The library was redone. Only books approved by the doctors are in here. Nothing that will trigger the patients so it's mostly children’s level reading books. If there’s something you really want that's not inappropriate I can probably get it for you and bring it in with me.”

He sits down at the table, in the chair next to you and huffs. “You would do that for me?”

“Yes but I reiterate it can’t be inappropriate.” He leans his head back as he’s thinking. You take the opportunity to stare at him. You would love to run your tongue across that chiseled jawline of his. A kiss your way down his neck. Ugh, you need to cool it. 

“Jonathan can I ask you something?” He tilts his head back towards you and nods his head. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. But I was just wondering why I haven’t seen Scarecrow since your first week here?”

“Um...well we aren’t threatened by you I suppose. Majority of my time is spent with you around.”

“But I had to continually pin him to the ground. How does that not feel like a threat?”

“You only did it because he attacked Dr. Weaver and continually came at you trying to escape. You could have easily hurt us, but you didn’t. And you talk to both of us like a regular person not like a psychotic freak. After my first conversation with you I could tell you were nothing like your father and that you were being genuine. Which is a rare thing in Gotham.”

You put your hand on top of his and look into his eyes. He laces your fingers together which makes you feel giddy inside. You’ll scold yourself for that later. “You are not a psychotic freak. You are a person, and underneath all your pain I see a good person.” He smiles at you with watery eyes. “Thank you (Y/N). I’ve never met anyone like you, or anyone with a heart as big as yours.”

You have another one of those moments where you are both just staring at each other. You actually have a lot of those. His eyes move from your eyes to your lips and back to your eyes. You know you’re guilty of doing the same thing. For a split second you think fuck it, why not go for it and start to slowly lean closer.

Suddenly the door to the library flies open forcefully. Jonathan looks panicked. You turn around and you feel your blood pressure rise. Fucking Batman. You stand up and put yourself in front of Jonathan who has now backed himself up against a bookshelf. During a fight he had with Batman he once got dosed with his own fear toxin. He still has nightmares about bats. 

“Jonathan Crane, we need to have a word.” Batman belts out in his ridiculous voice he’s trying to disguise. “You will get the fuck out of here bat boy and stop scaring my patient.” You yell at him with fury in your eyes.

“Move miss or I will move you. I need to speak with him. He has information I need.” You scoff and move closer to him. You poke your pointer finger into his chest as you’re talking. “Then you will send an actual police officer down here and let them do their job. Send Blake or Gordon and I will gladly assist. You have no authority here and do not intimidate me. Now get the fuck on.”