Chapter 27 - Trouble

Start from the beginning

"Shall we go? I think it is time that I meet Mr. Edwards," Severus asked as he pulled away and looked down at Rowan. She seemed to be fine, but Severus knew otherwise. With a weak smile, Rowan nodded. "I think you're the only one looking forward to this," She replied with a small chuckle. Severus could almost hear the pain in her heart from the way she laughed. It broke his heart to see her like this. 

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

Theodore Edwards was much different than Severus had imagined. Maybe it was daft of him to think that Rowan must have a very specific type to be able to fall for someone like himself. Severus was different from Theodore in almost every way imaginable.

Theodore, in some ways, resembled the Weasley family. He had bright red hair and a freckled face, something that most of the Weasley's had. Although, Severus knew most of the Weasleys to be very cheerful. Theodore, on the other hand, looked as though he had been scorned since the day he was born.

Though, Severus could spot some similarities. Theodore was currently leaning against a wall and reading a potions novel; one Severus recognized as something he had in his collection. Theodore was also wearing a long, black robe which was something Severus hadn't seen much of at Ilvermorny. Most of their student's robes were blue and red. Tearing himself away from his thoughts, Severus turned his attention toward Rowan. 

Rowan seemed hesitant to walk any closer to Theodore, staying hidden behind a pillar not too far away from him. "Rowan," Severus whispered, shaking his head slightly. Rowan sighed and nodded, seeming to understand how crazy it was that she was hiding from someone she hadn't seen in years. 

As they emerged from the pillar, Theodore seemed to notice their presence and placed the book he had been reading inside of his robe pocket. "Rowan! Wow, look at you," Theodore exclaimed as he held his arms open for a hug. When Rowan stayed still, he forcefully wrapped his arms around her. "Hi, Theo," Rowan said quietly, looking at Severus out of the corner of her eyes. 

Severus cleared his throat, catching the attention of Theodore. "Oh! Where are my manners today," Theodore began with a hearty laugh. Severus didn't laugh along, but that didn't seem to bother Theodore. "I'm Theodore Edwards, the temporary potions professor here at Ilvermorny! And you are?" Theodore asked as he held out his hand. Severus shook his hand begrudgingly, a coldness returning to his own voice that he hadn't heard since before Hogwarts' winter break. 

"I'm Severus Snape, potions professor at Hogwarts," Severus said with a glare. Theodore looked taken aback at first, but his face softened as he turned toward Rowan once again. "Can I talk to you alone? I wasn't expecting you to bring your boss along," Theodore whispered, glancing cautiously at Severus.

"I'm sure you could say whatever you need to say in front of Professor Snape. He's not much of a listener anyway," Rowan joked, smiling slightly at her lover. There had been many times where she would start a conversation with the backside of one of his many books. "Um- Okay then," Theodore said awkwardly as he motioned for them to follow him. 

Rowan looked around cautiously at the walls around her. When she was a student here, they seemed to close in around her. To her, these walls were nothing more than the bars of a prison. However, now they seemed almost inviting. A part of Rowan would even say she missed them, though she certainly missed Hogwarts more. After a few moments, Rowan found herself in the old potions classroom. Theodore motioned for them to take a seat across from his desk, which both of them did. 

"Rowan, I was wondering if you had thought of the job offer here at Ilvermorny. It would give us a chance to reconnect and fix what we had," Theodore started, trying his best to ignore Severus' presence. Rowan choked back a laugh at Theodore's words. "Theo, I don't-"