10 | An Alien Within

Start from the beginning

Evanna leaned forward in a sullen slouch and shoveled in the rest of the soup.

When she was about to exit the kitchen, Mary called out, "I couldn't ask you in the morning. Why are you dressed all in black?"

"'Cause I like it."

"Oh, looking like you're attending a funeral is fashion now? I can't believe you went to class like this. And it's awful what you've done to your eyes—"

"Mom, please leave me alone."

Trudging back up to her room, Evanna flung herself on the bed. She curled up into a fetal position and didn't move even as darkness enveloped her.

"Before we get on with our lesson, I wanted to let you know that a career guidance session is coming up this Friday," Inoue said, adjusting her glasses while her gaze swept over her students

"Before we get on with our lesson, I wanted to let you know that a career guidance session is coming up this Friday," Inoue said, adjusting her glasses while her gaze swept over her students. "It's not compulsory, but I recommend all of you to make use of the opportunity to fine-tune your future goals."

It was Monday.

The morning assembly had been shorter than the first one Evanna attended. She now had physics class till lunch break.

"This program was compulsory since we were expecting no less than Enrico Solheim—yes, the billionaire entrepreneur himself—to share his journey with us on this occasion," Inoue continued. "Unfortunately, he's had to cancel. Whether you attend this or not, you can talk to me any time if you need advice on your future career."

Under the pretense of looking around the class, Evanna sneaked a glance at Shane.

He sat motionless, eyes fixed idly on his desk. The mop of dark, messy hair was particularly fluffy. She had come to notice that he sported wet hair on most mornings—as if he stepped out of a magazine cover. A morning shower person. He might as well be a different speciesAnyways, maybe I'm over-thinking this—he probably dismissed it as nothing.

"To get you inspired, I thought it would be good if we have some of you discuss your goals—and what made you choose science subjects." A smile graced the teacher's angular face. "Who wants to start?"

No one volunteered.

"Come on now." Inoue's gaze homed in on Sery Kwan. "How about you, Sery?"

Sery looked like the last thing she wanted to do was discuss her career, but when the teacher beckoned her over, she got up reluctantly. Patting down her mousy hair, she shuffled to the front of the class.

"Er, I chose science subjects, 'cause...I don't feel like taking the others, except maybe..." she faltered. "Plus, my parents wanted me to go for science."

"What would you like to do in the future?" Inoue leaned against the teacher's table. "It all depends on what you'd like to do."

"Well, I'm like most people here. I mean, I'd like to just see how well I do and figure out what my options are..."