8 | A Rabbit Hole

Start from the beginning

Surprisingly, Alcina wasn't sitting with Sara or Oleanda. It occurred to her that she hadn't actually seen them together. As for Anukie, she was in a corner beside another girl.

Evanna's head churned with the knowledge that Inoue imparted to her while the teacher droned on about functions and graphs. She was no different than a cloistered ant, unaware of the greater universe and how it worked. It was so overwhelming that she excused herself to go to the restroom. Then it was time for lunch break.

Before heading to the cafeteria, she stopped by a water fountain in the corridor to fill up her water bottle. The atmosphere was markedly light, with clusters of students loitering around to chat, while others ambled towards the elevators.

She was almost done when she noticed the drama unfolding in her peripheral vision. Conversation ebbed away, and people slowed to a halt.

Genelle was standing with a steely look on her face while Sara peered up at her. Oleanda and two other girls surrounded them.

"Are you okay, Gen?" Sara asked, her pretty face a picture of concern.

"Leave me alone," Genelle hissed back, giving her a push.

Sara looked pained. "I'm only trying to help!"

Oleanda gave her a comforting pat and shot Genelle an accusatory glare. "What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me?" Genelle swiped at her eyes that brimmed with tears. "Why did you share that online?"

As Evanna watched on, her hands tightened on the water bottle. A sense of déjà vu kindled within.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Oleanda shrugged and turned to the other girls. "Do you?"

They shook their heads, their faces suitably blank.

"Do you want us to escort you to the restroom?" Sara asked, lips widening into a serene smile.

"No!" Genelle tried to brush past them, but tripped and ended up on the floor in an unflattering heap.

Suppressed laughter erupted from some of the onlookers.

"Oh, no, are you hurt?" Sara extended a hand to help her up, but Genelle swatted it away with a sob.

Evanna didn't know what came over her the next second. She glowered and strode purposefully up to the girls, who turned to look.

Then she swung her bottle in Oleanda's direction.

Cold water flew out in an arc and splashed Oleanda full in the face, making her step back, spluttering. Evanna observed the substantial amount of water still left in the bottle. She stepped up to Sara, who stood frozen in shock, and emptied it all onto her head. Sara gasped as water sloshed over her hair and clothes before splattering on the floor.

"Leave. Her. Alone."

Evanna's emphatic words rang out in the corridor. Drops of water plopped down into the rapidly spreading puddles on the floor. No one moved.

She screwed her bottle shut and took a deep breath. Her temper, which had ballooned as dramatically as a pufferfish, slowly deflated. She was aware of students spilling out of nearby classrooms. All four members of Obsidian had stopped in their tracks to witness the spectacle. For a nanosecond, Evanna's eyes lingered over Shane, and a prickle of irritation morphed her face into a scowl.

"Evie Zeller!" Manasie Mori pushed past the students, looking aghast. "What in the world do you think you're doing?"

Then Inoue materialized. She surveyed the scene with her mouth ajar before she reverted to her usual unruffled manner.