Chapter 18

1k views...I did not see that coming. Also Merry Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas. This is an early upload, enjoy.
———————————————
TW: mention of abuse and rape.

The dinner went good for almost everyone, except for Astrid. The next day passed quickly and the wedding came up. She avoided Tuffnut at all cost and Hiccup too.

The wedding went good and at the reception Astrid was ready to leave early since she wasn't feeling that well, but she knew Ruffnut would kill her if she bailed. "Hey." Olivia said and sat next to Astrid. Astrid smiled softly. "Hi."

"You look tired." Olivia said. "Gee, thanks. Never knew that." Astrid said and rolled her eyes. "What happened between you and Tuffnut?" Olivia asked. "I don't want to talk about it." Astrid mumbled, though she was sure Olivia didn't hear her since the music was loud.

"Gods, I feel my head is about to explode." Astrid said. "I'll be right back. Just need some air." Olivia nodded.

Astrid walked out of the reception hall. She took a deep breath and looked up at the sky. "Ahem. Hey." A familiar person said, Nadia.

"Hi..." Astrid said. "I can leave if you want." Nadia said. "No, it's fine. Come here." Astrid said softly.

Nadia walked and joined her. "You know you shouldn't stand on your wounded foot for too long, right?" Nadia said. "How did you know?" Astrid asked, amused. "The dressings are kinda visible and also you are wearing sneakers at a wedding." Nadia said.

"Yeah. I sprained my ankle." Astrid said."Also,I'm sorry about your mother, Heather told me about it. I never knew that." "Yeah, thank you." Nadia said and smiled weakly.

"You're med student, right?" Astrid asked. Nadia nodded. "Second year." She said. "I'm sorry about how I reacted at the bar that day." Astrid said. "Oh, it's fine. I would've probably done the same thing." Nadia said and smiled.

"Okay, my ankle started hurting, let's find somewhere we can sit." Astrid said. "It's way to crowded inside." They found a place to sit on. "Hey, can I ask you a question?" Nadia asked. Astrid nodded.

"How old were you when our father abandoned you?" Nadia asked. "Probably the same age as my daughter now, around five about to be six." Astrid said and shrugged. She realized Nadia was shaking.

"Hey." Astrid said and placed her hand on her shaky hand. "He abused me and my mom. I was a result of him raping her." Nadia said. "My mom never knew that he had you, or he had a fiancée at that time. They started dating and he abused her until I was conceived. I don't know why I'm telling you this, but it feels I must do it." "You don't have to tell me." Astrid said and held her hand tightly.

"I want to." Nadia said. "After I was born, he almost put me up for adoption if it wasn't for mom. I also remember one time when I was seven, he came home, drunk. Mom hid me in the closet, so he wouldn't hurt me, but she got hurt in return. He had beaten her to pulp and left her bleeding on the ground. I can't erase this image from my mind." Nadia held a sob in.

"Even in that ruthlessness that mom and I lived in, we managed to find our own world which had zero pain, zero tears, zero sadness." "Oh my gods, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how it was." Astrid said. "He killed her, Astrid. That guy killed my mom. He's in jail now." Nadia said.

Astrid hugged her tightly. Nadia sniffled and hugged her back. They pulled back. "I can tell you something, Nadia. Your mom is looking down at you now and she is proud of you, but about that man he deserves to be in jail for the rest of his life." Astrid said and wiped Nadia's tears.

"He's on life sentence." Nadia said. Astrid nodded. "Good." Astrid said. "Are you good at keeping secrets?" "Umm yeah. Why?" Nadia asked.

With Hiccup he was searching for Astrid, with a sleepy Zephyr on his arms. He knew she wouldn't answer his text. He left the hall and found her talking to another woman. "Astrid." Hiccup started. "Umm Zephyr is already tired. We are going upstairs." "Oh okay." Astrid said and stood up.

Nadia stood up and placed her hand on the air, to shake Hiccup's hand. "Hi, Nadia." Nadia introduced. "Hiccup." Hiccup introduced himself and shook her hand. Astrid faced Zephyr's face. "Good night, kiddo." Astrid said and kissed Zephyr's hand. "Good night, mommy." Zephyr mumbled, sleepy.

"Good night, you too." Astrid said to Hiccup. "Good night." Hiccup said back and walked away. "She's cute." Nadia said. Astrid smiled.

"Come on let's go back before they think we got kidnapped." Astrid said. "Do we have to?" Nadia asked. "Yeah." Astrid said and laughed softly.