14 | Display of magic

Start from the beginning

He had the best seat in the house. People moved throughout the ballroom, chatting, drinking, a few even dancing. From here, he'd see when Fyrefox made his move. Once the man was caught, the wizarding world would be a bit safer. Fyrefox wasn't exactly a danger, didn't kill but what if things got out of hand? The thief's tricks could turn lethal. Harry had to preven that. And if the thief spent a few years in Azkaban, maybe he'd go straight. Stay out of trouble indefinitely.

"What's on your mind?" Jack asked softly, coming to stand beside him.

Harry shrugged. "The future."

The left side of Jack's lips rose. "You guys are something else."

Harry glared. "What does that mean?"

"Any sightings of this thief?" Jack asked instead, looking around the ballroom. His eyes landed on the head table then moved over to the dance floor then the aurors surrounding the entire room. Then snapped back as a couple approached the head table. He straightened then relaxed when they moved around towards Harry.

It was Neville and Hannah. Harry smiled. "Neville, Hannah." He shook Neville's hand and introduced Jack. "Jack Times, the American Head Auror for the President."

Jack shook both their hands. "Pleasure to meet you. Any friends of Potters are friends of mine."

Harry shook his head. 

"How are you enjoying your time here?" Neville took in the man.

"Been interesting so far." Jack smiled. "But I bet it's going to get even more so soon."

Harry shot him a look, but the man ignored him. 

"You don't say." Neville looked between them.

"I should make my rounds with the President," Jack said, and when Harry followed his gaze, he caught the President looking at them over his shoulder. "He already thinks I'm too distracted." Jack shook his head. "Nice to meet you both," he added then stepped away.

Grinning, Harry watched the man lean forward and whisper something into the President's ear. After a nod, the President stood and the two stepped away from the head table and out to the crowd.

"How have you been, Harry?" Neville asked, pulling back his attention.

"Busy with work." He sighed. "Haven't had a chance to breathe."

"Sounds stressful," Hannah said, head tilted. "Have you been eating and sleeping, Harry? It isn't good to go without either."

He shrugged. "Hardly have the time."

"That's terrible." Hannah frowned and shook her head.

"Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you, Neville... Neville?" Harry noticed his friend looking around the ballroom. "Something wrong, Neville?"

"Neville." Hannah elbowed him.

Neville jumped, turning back to them. "Sorry. What?"

"Everything okay?" Harry asked. Was he looking for someone?

"No, just looking for... someone," Neville said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Harry had an idea of who, and just like that, Ginny was front and center in his thoughts. Luscious red hair, freckled smooth skin, bright brown eyes, pink tempting lips-

"Harry?" Neville yanked him back. 

Harry ran his fingers through his hair, trying to clear his mind, but it was pointless. Ginny in that strapless black gown. Merlin. His throat went dry. He took a deep breath to slow his rapidly beating hear then pushed his glasses up his nose. "Last I saw her, she was slipping into the corner at the front of the ballroom." He indicated the spot. "Now, I've got to make my rounds," he said, slipping away from the couple and into the crowd.