6 | A Ray of Light

Start from the beginning

She settled down on the farthest window seat, just in front of the rows occupied by boys. Several people from her physics class were present. More arrived as she watched, including Sara and Oleanda.

The teacher herself soon walked in at a leisurely pace. She was a plump woman in a formal dress. She had a pretty face that gave off a calm aura—further emphasized by the pallor of her skin that almost blended in with her outfit. She reminded Evanna of a colorless cake with neat, delicate frosting.

A dozen seats remained empty, including that next to Evanna. The door opened, and the last four students sauntered in.

Her eyes widened. Obsidian.

They evoked a quiet stir as conversations halted and heads turned. Evanna tore away her gaze and began doodling on her notebook.

A jolt shot down her spine when all four of them passed by, and two sank onto chairs just behind her. She sucked in a breath, but didn't dare look.

When the teacher started calling out names to check attendance, Evanna realized that seated behind her were Junho and Max. She strained her ears curiously as they started a whispered conversation about a video game, which sounded like a MOBA.

The teacher finally addressed them, "Good morning, everyone."

Some people uttered a polite greeting, while others continued talking. Unperturbed, the teacher rapped on the desk with a book until she got everyone's attention.

"Welcome to my class. For those of you who do not know me—I'm Mrs. Nelum Abare," she said pleasantly. "Since you are not taking this as a core subject, we will only be covering a part of the syllabus. You are required to submit essays and participate in class activities to pass this course—that will be all. No need to go for after-school classes or feel pressured."

Evanna frowned. After-school classes?

"I hope you would, however, take the opportunity to enjoy this class and participate in meaningful discussion as we study each of these great works." She tapped on a few books on the table. "A selection of poems, two short stories, one play...and the novel you will be learning is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Today, we will go through a poem. I believe most of you have your poetry book by now? If not, share with a friend."

Paper rustled as everyone opened their books. Evanna's frown etched deeper. Do I possess a poetry book? I must have one—Alter-Ev had signed up for Literature. It's probably sitting in my room right now.

Her eyes trailed over those seated ahead of her—Sara Diasele and her friend. Evanna crossed her arms and glowered at Sara's back. She was in the process of turning when it occurred to her that she couldn't ask anyone at the back for any extra copies either.

Before she could look away, however, she caught Max's eye. Recognition dawned on him, and his lips quirked up at the corners. Evanna hurriedly pointed her stare at her doodles. "The crazy girl from yesterday" he's thinking, most likely!

Max whispered, "We have an extra copy if you want one."

She closed her eyes and sighed. Just take it and be done with it, Ev. Don't draw attention to yourself. Make it fast.

Evanna composed herself and turned back with a polite smile. "Yes, please."

Both boys surveyed her for a moment. The other two members of Obsidian, who were seated behind them, fixed their attention on her as well. It was as if someone lit a fire in her cheeks. Hand it over already!

As if he read her thoughts, Junho held out the book with a suppressed grin. She grabbed it lightning-fast, mouthed "thank you" and turned away.

The poem turned out to be I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth. Mrs. Abare started reciting the first two stanzas in her quiet voice.