Chapter 15 - You can try

Start from the beginning

"You can't be serious!" I exclaimed. 

My anger was back as I narrowed my eyes at him. 
He still had me trapped against the sink. 

"You have no right, Taehyung! You can't just do that to me!"

He closed his eyes for a moment and when he opened them again, I saw that he really was sorry. But it wouldn't change anything. 
I let out a frustrated puff of air. 

"You're confusing me Tae! You say you want me- you won't allow me to be with someone else and yet you don't want to be with me. How does that make sense?"

"I do! Fuck, Y/N, I never wanted anything more than to be with you, but you don't get it. I can't!" 

I got the distinct feeling that the anger in his voice was not directed at me. 
And I had a clear idea who it was for.

"Then tell me why! We always talk about everything. Everything but you're family. That's what this is about, isn't it?"

My words hit home as his anger turned into panic, his face paling. 
I was right. 
My anger left as if it never existed. 

I wriggled one of my hands free while he was still watching me with panicked, desperate eyes. 
It hurt so much to see him like this. 
To remember the lost, broken boy he had been when I met him.

"Tae." I whispered, stroking his cheeks. 
His skin was so soft and his eyes closed for a second when I touched him, like he was seeking comfort in it. 
"You know you can talk to me about anything. You can't scare me away. I will always be on your side. I'll never leave."

He shook his head, putting a hand over mine on his cheek. Instead of pulling it away, he pressed it closer. 
"But you have to, Y/N." 

I watched in utter surprise as a tear escaped his eyes, which opened again and bore into mine. 
I couldn't look anywhere else. 

"We will soon graduate and you will go to that art school you applied to."

"With you! You said you would come too. It's the only reason I agreed to move so far away."

We already planned everything. Together. That was the only condition: that we would do it together.

" I won't go, Y/N." 

It's like someone had poured ice water over me. I snapped my hand away from his face. 
"What- w-why would you say that? Of course you're coming with me." 

He shook his head with close eyes. 
"No, I wont. I have to stay here. But you don't. You can leave. And then maybe I can let you go. Maybe I can learn to live without you. But please-" 

His voice broke as did my heart. He reached out and stroked away a tear from my cheek. 
I didn't even realize I was crying. 
"Please don't make it so hard for me until then. I really can't stand to see someone else touching you."

A sob rose in my throat. 
"I don't want anyone else Tae, don't you get it? Why do you think I did this in the first place?"

His breath caught and his eyes widened a little.
"But- I hurt you. So many times. And I'm not a good person, Y/N. I did terrible things-" He swallowed hard and lowered his head. 
"There are things I haven't told you. Things about my family. I don't-I can't... I can't bring you into this." 

I didn't know what to say. This is the first time he even mentioned them. I didn't even know the names of his three brothers or what his father looked like. 
I always thought he wanted to get away from them too. 
That's why we chose our universities so far away.