#16 Come Back Home

"Doubt, doubt doubt,

It kills everything that you love."

-Lauv

"I don't think it looks good on me," I lied, folding my arms as I got out of the changing room. As soon as he saw me from the corner of his eyes, Nic stood up from the sofa. The tall black heels I wore made me almost as tall as him.

The Valentino sales assistant behind him widened her eyes as she took a step closer to me. "It's a perfect fit—as if the dress was made just for you," she said in admiration.

Standing in front of a long mirror, I glanced at myself for a split second. To be honest, the dress was beautiful. The thick, black fabric fell above my knees. Its cuffs were detailed with intricate white embroidery. Although the design was simple, the dress screamed expensive and elegance. It made the girl wearing it looked poised and important.

But then there was the tug from the back of the dress—the price tag that constantly reminded me to be careful. One wrong step was all it'll take to rip this $4,000 dress and leave me cashless for a month. Let's also not forget the $1,000 black studded heels the sales assistant paired me with.

My whole outfit right now was worth more than my current bank account balance.

"I think it looks good," Nic said. He paced around me, focusing on every detail of the dress. Once he was satisfied, he nodded at the sales assistant and began to advance to the cashier booth.

"Wait." I grabbed Nic's wrist. "No, Nic, this is too expensive."

He rolled his eyes. "Expensive to you, yes."

I blocked his path before he could proceed towards the cashier. "I have similar dresses like this at home. I can just wear one of those."

Nic finally sighed. "It's not about the price, Emily. You're going to my family dinner. I want you to look your best and to stomp on people who dares to look down on you. Stomp on them with those studs if you have to."

"Still," I pressed. "I—I can pay you back, slowly. How about that?"

He flicked my forehead. "You can repay me with a lifetime supply of your kimchi pancakes. They're delicious—like you." Nic winked at me with a smug look. Then he dashed towards the cashier.

If he wasn't fast enough, he would've felt what it was like to be kicked by heels covered in studs. And that was the story of how I ended up with two big Valentino shopping bags.

Although we have reconciled, I have refused Nic's offer to stay in his apartment. After all, the situation has died down. Kyle was right. Only time will fix our problem. Haters would continue to hate—because they seem to have so much spare time to bitch about other people's lives. Some co-workers in the office still gave me the look. They envied me for being privileged. Now, I just let them continue to believe that I am privileged. At least now they know that chewing on me could result in them being clawed back by the bigger wolves—Kyle and Nic.