26.

"It's not exactly my story to tell, Elisa," Mary sighed, glancing up at her as she pulled her things out of her bag.

Elisa huffed, folding her hands over her stomach as she stared up at the ceiling. "I'm supposed to just accept that they don't like each other?" She asked, pressing her eyebrows together in frustration.

"Kind of," Mary said slowly, hugging her clothes to her as she paused, "I can tell you that it's a bit more one sided than that."

Frowning, Elisa turned her head to look at her, suggesting her question.

"It's complicated," Mary quickly added, and stepped away to put her things into a drawer, "Jason would be here now if he thought Oliver really wanted him here."

Elisa sighed, rolling over to prop herself up on her elbows. "So Oliver just doesn't like him? Why?" She pushed, holding her chin in her hands.

"It's not my story to tell," Mary repeated, keeping her back to her.

"Well what do you make of it?" Elisa asked, moving to sit up, "Do you think his thoughts are justified?"

"Definitely," Mary replied without hesitation, "Could he have given Jay a chance to explain himself? Totally. But do I see why he didn't want to? Of course."

Elisa pressed her eyebrows together in confusion, not understanding with her lack of information. "So Jason did something to him-"

"Oh, you're so pushy— Just ask him yourself," Mary groaned, turning back around. "You two are perfect for each other."

"We both have a lot to work on first," Elisa said quietly, shyly looking down at her lap.

Mary smiled softly, crossing her arms over her chest. "I'm happy, as long as you're both happy-"

"Mary Anderson."

She pressed her lips together, turning her body to the door as Elisa looked over. "Jacob Reynolds," She mocked his tone, playfully scowling at him.

The boy smiled at her as he walked into the room, quickly noticing Elisa's presence as he pulled her into a hug. "Missed you, Mar," He told her, patting the top of her head.

She huffed in response, pulling away from the hug to look up at him. "You're so tall," She observed, knitting her eyebrows together, "Can you chill with that? The growing, I mean— I missed when you were shorted than me."

"I'm officially the tallest, and I'm only getting taller," He sighed deeply, "Unfortunately, there's nothing either of us can do about it."

He paused, turning away from her to look at Elisa. "Hi," He smiled, "Who are you?"

Mary snickered lightly, putting her hand on his arm, "This is Elisa— She's my roommate at school."

"Elisa," Jacob repeated, holding his hand out, "What brings you to Philly?"

"Um— Your brother," Elisa said stiffly, taking his hand.

He frowned, keeping her hand in his as he turned to look at Mary. "Don't tell me-"

"Oliver," Elisa quickly added, "I'm— We-"

"Her and Oliver have a— Uh-"

"A thing?" Jacob suggested, raising his eyebrows and looking back and forth between them, "Oliver? Huh," He trailed off, "Didn't see that coming."

Mary nudged him to turn toward her, a reassuring expression on her face. "He's in good hands," She told him, "Trust me."

"Okay," He said slowly, nodding. He looked back to Elisa and smiled, taking his hand away, "I trust her judgement," He shrugged, "My brother's a lot more sensitive then he leads on so-" He pointed two fingers at his eyes then switched them out point at her.