24. "Immortal"

It was my third day at work, and everything was going smoothly

It was my third day at work, and everything was going smoothly. By smooth, I mean getting hit on by drunk guys that are ten times your age and listening to their relationship issues. For thirty minutes, I smiled and nodded, listening to a young man tell me about his cheating fiance. I kept serving him until he showed signs of being too drunk, and he didn't like that.

"I came here for a fucking drink. You can't cut me off," The man that seemed to be in his late thirties yelled. I jumped from his tone of voice, freezing as he went off. It made me numb, thinking of the times Craig got in my face before hitting me. I hate that certain things trigger me, causing me to lose all sense of my body.

"Are you deaf or dumb? Get me another drink!" He yelled again, breaking me from my trance. I felt my heart wanting to pound from my chest as I rushed and prepared water.

I choked. "I have to stop serving you and call a cab." I pushed the glass of water to the end of the bartop.

The drunk man leaned to the side, using the barstool to keep his balance. "I didn't ask for fucking water. You drink it." He pushed the glass, causing the liquid to crash to the ground creating a puddle. I rolled my eyes and cursed under my breath. Seriously?

I gasped, shutting down as he kept yelling at me. Seconds later, Nate and the other guard, Connor, rushed to my aid. Connor stood behind the man and put him in a backward headlock.

"If you can't follow the rules, get the fuck out of the bar," Nate yelled, signaling for Connor to throw him out. The drunk man put up an intense fight, kicking, and screaming, causing a scene.

When they finally got him to cooperate, I relaxed more. Nate jogged back towards the bar as I huddled a group of napkins. "Hey, Cassie, you good?" He asked.

With a blank face, I nodded. "Yeah, thanks for asking. It rattled me, but expected."

"You did the right thing. We get a lot of assholes here, so don't take it personally. If you need anything, I'm here." He said, adjusting his earpiece.

I forced a smile. "Thank you, and I appreciate it." He flashed a toothy smile and winked before walking away.

Once I finished cleaning up the water mess, I took care of the remaining customers before needing a drink. I glanced over my shoulder, briefly watching the girls on stage, stripping out of their colorful lingerie. Some of the girls were not as experienced as the others. Half of them were climbing up the pole, doing tricks I've never seen before. And the other half just sensually danced and removed their clothes.

The men and women cheered them on, throwing money on the stage as the music vibrated throughout the club. Andre, the DJ, is usually in his own world and hasn't played a song that disappointed anyone.

I poured myself a shot of Tequila and quickly took it to the head. My face twisted as the liquid burned my throat, but I shook it off. Just as I was about to take another one, someone cleared their voice behind me.