83. "I met the devil"

Part one

Part one

"Let's go again," I said, heavily breathing, wiping the sweat dripping from my hairline. I jumped in place, stretching out my neck before pounding my boxing gloves together in front of me. I had so much frustration and rage pent up inside of me, and I needed a release. I couldn't use sex as a scapegoat because Cassie needed space, and I would never cheat on her.

"Do you not get tired?" Frank asked, standing in the corner of the ring, preparing to block my punches. "We just did four rounds."

It was the day after Christmas, and I woke up early to box with Frank. I don't do it often, and his boxing gym isn't open as much because he's always at the gym. But he also took time off not only to be here but to spend time with his family.

Christmas was cool. Half my entire family spent the day at my mom's chilling, opening gifts, and dinner. She had a normal-sized real tree that sat in the corner with ornaments from my childhood and ones she's collected over the years—stockings for all the kids, wreaths, pictures. The moral of the story, she went all out, but that's normal for her. If she didn't, we'd be worried.

I laughed, standing in front of Frank, who was taller than me by a few inches, and said, "I'm tired as fuck, but one more."

"Uppercut, left jab," Frank coached, making sound effects. "Right cross, and end with a left hook." We did a light round of the combination, making sure I followed as he switched it up.

Once I nodded, we sped up as I followed the routine, hitting his pads with force. Frank adjusted his stance, holding his balance to the ground so that he wouldn't jerk back from my blows.

With each jab, Frank blocked it. I took control of my breathing, finishing the set of three. Once I stopped, Frank walked around me, laying his pad on my shoulder.

Out of breath, I sat down with my legs cocked open. I puffed out my cheeks, grabbed my water bottle, and finished it. It was a lowkey spot; only a few people knew about it. Well, the ones that Frank was training.

I was sweating like fuck, only wearing black Nike running shorts with a single stripe and matching shoes. I didn't bother wearing a shirt, knowing it would be soaked. Shit, my hair felt like I just got out of the shower.