31. "Lying is a sin"

Cassie is italics | Gael is bold

After tucking Emmy in bed and reading to her, she fell straight to sleep. Crying earlier at the park drained her, and she couldn't fight her tiredness. I couldn't blame her, but I was wide awake. It was a little past ten, and I had showered and had the rest of the night to myself.

I poured myself a glass of wine and turned on the TV to the movie series Halloween. I took a sip and tried to relax, but my mind kept wandering as usual. I found it hard to stay away from Gael as much as I tried. He somehow pops up at the right time, all the time, and smooth talks his way into anything and everything. I have been trying to keep my distance because Gael doesn't seem like the type to want anything, and I don't think I do either. And I say that because I can't take another person leaving me after I completely open up and become vulnerable. My heart simply can't take it, especially when Emmy is begging for him to tag along. He was so good with her at the park when the dog terrified her, and It was sexy. It was something about how he handled the situation that had me biting my lips and chewing on my fingernail.

I drowned the rest of the wine before grabbing my phone and hoovering my finger over Gael's text thread. I never met someone that could drive me crazy, even when I push him off. Well, I haven't been doing the best job, but I enjoy his company. I'd never admitted that though.

I kept typing and deleting messages:

Want to come over? Watch a movie? Emmy is sleeping.

I closed my phone, sucking in my lip, and tried focusing on the movie. But picked it back up when Gael replied:

Yeah, I'll be over.

I quickly ran my hands through my hair and flipped it over to the side. I skipped to Emmy's room and opened it enough to check on her, seeing she was still in a deep sleep. As I closed the door, Gael let himself in wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut-out, shorts, and slides with long socks. The lights were off except the TV, but I could still see all of his features.

He stood in the opening with a small smile on his lips. Our eyes connected for a split second until they dropped to roam down my body. I had on silk matching pajamas, tank top, and shorts.

"The movie is over here," I breathed out in a low whisper after admiring the ink on his arms.

I slowly walked ahead of him as he asked, "What are we watching?" His voice was hoarse and low.

As I turned around, Gael was extremely close enough to where I could feel the heat from his body. I'm sure he knew what he was doing, he always did, but it was hard to ignore when we're alone. I watched him swallow, seeing the bob in his throat as he licked his lip.

I lightly breathed through my nose and muttered, "Halloween. Hope you like scary movies."

When we finally made it to the living room, I took my seat on the couch, as did Gael. "Never minded them. Is that why you invited me over, you scared?" He asked.