3. "No new friends.."

I have never been on a cruise and never thought I would have the opportunity so soon

I have never been on a cruise and never thought I would have the opportunity so soon. Part of me was excited to spend some time with myself, but being on the water for a week straight doesn't sit right with me. Anything could happen because we're going to be in the middle of the damn ocean, but I tried not to think negatively. In my life, it's hard to be positive, but I'm working towards it.

Erin came to a stop at the dock as I watched large crowds of people board. There was a mix of individuals my age, kids, adults, elders, and tons of staff members dressed in uniform. As I watched the groups of people, my nerves got the best of me. I'm probably the only person coming on vacation alone, but I'm used to it.

Erin must've known I got trapped in my head because she cleared her throat and said, "It's a boat; it won't bite."

I took my gaze off the window and leaned against the headrest. "Yeah, but whatever is underneath might. I rather not be shark food this weekend."

A laugh escaped her lips as she folded her arm to lean on it. "Then keep your ass on the boat and have fun. Stop thinking that you're not entitled to having a good time, Cass. Now get the hell out of my car, and I'll see you in a week."

I turned to face her, gathering the bag at my feet first. "Actually, about that. Thank you so much for letting me crash at your place and not treating me any different for going MIA. I found an apartment in California that's reasonably priced, immediate move in and it's Cali. I think I'm going to take it and get away from here."

"California?" Her eyes widened, "You kidding?"

Her mouth dropped as she stared directly into my eyes. I couldn't understand what she meant by her facial expression. "What? I shouldn't go. I need to keep an eye on my Mom even though she doesn't give a shit anyway."

I started settling back in the seat of her Kia, dropping my bag in my lap. I can't go. My guilty conscience would eat me alive. Ever since I was little, my parents promised me they would take me to California, but that never happened. It was the first state that I checked for affordable housing, and it surprised me that any rooms were still available.

So, when I thought of places to move to, I hoped I could find a place cheap enough, and I did. It's still hard for me to believe that I would be in my first apartment by myself in a little over a week.

"No, that's not what I'm saying." Erin rolled her eyes, "And I told you to stop that. I'm happy for you, is all. Make sure you keep in contact this time, or the next time you knock on my door at 5 AM won't be as pretty."

I heavily exhaled and nodded. "Thank you, Erin. For all of this."

"Have a drink for me." She said, waving me off as I pulled my suitcase from the backseat. When she drove off, I closed my eyes and took multiple deep breaths. If I play my cards right, this will be my last time under Florida skies and the start of my new life. But I could only pray and hope someone was listening.