85. "Dead end"

The Playroom

The Playroom.

The place that changed all of our lives. The very place that put us all in danger and the man that not only hit me but my best friend. He put me at risk, and I wanted to take control of my life. I've been in this situation before, overpowered by man, and I've had enough.

When I finally got the courage, I held my breath and slid through the door, slowly making sure I closed it without making any noise. And it was difficult because I shouldn't stop shaking. When I closed it, I glued my body against the hard surface, trying to catch my breath. My heart was beating vigorously, almost to the point that I couldn't fucking think. I started to forget why I was here in the first place. I don't do stuff like this, so you can imagine how out of place and lost I felt.

I had on a simple black track jacket with black leggings, and my hair pushed up into a ponytail. I knew all along what Noah and Gael had planned, and I used that to my advantage. I wanted to talk, reason with him, trying to play the sad niece card. It was a gamble, a dangerous one, but if they fucked him up how they said they were, then Zane wouldn't be able to have control over me.

Fear and fright washed over me as I pushed myself off the door, my eyes darting toward the faint red light in the hallway. It was dark besides the light streams from the moon, shining on the ground, casting eerie shadows around my feet with each cautious step I took.

I kept looking over my shoulder because I didn't even think about anyone else that could be in the room with me. Yes, I'm probably stupid for coming alone and didn't thoroughly think this through, but I'm here, and I'm here for all of us—Gael, Brooke, Noah, and myself.

When I got to the corner, centimeters from the hallway, I peeked around the wall, seeing broken glass everywhere, dirt, blood, and a body laid out on the ground. I could tell by his hair that it wasn't Zane, so I assumed it was one of his minions, Ronnie or Vince. And I really didn't want to walk anywhere near him because he could still be awake and grab me.

It's now or never.

Taking my time, I slid against the wall, still not hearing anything but the wind howling outside. Then as my foot met the ground, a piece of glass cracked under my shoe before I lightly kicked the passed-out body to check if he was up. And there was no movement. I knew they didn't come to kill, so judging by the mess, he's out cold.

"Who's there," Zane asked, discomfort in his voice as he coughed. That confirmed that he's incapable of trying anything.

I nervously jumped over the man as Zane repeated himself. Then before I could make it to the door, I saw a gun in the corner, picking it up for protection. This will show him what it feels like having no control, not wondering if you're going to live or die.

Everything was so fast-paced that I didn't even process that I had a fucking gun in my hand. I wrapped my hand around the cold metal, stepping into Zane's faintly lit office. It was only him, using his desk to hold him up, but slouched over. His face was bloody and distorted, almost unrecognizable. As Zane struggled to lift his head, a string of blood fell from his mouth after spitting out what looked like a tooth.