9. "Can you swim?"

I was having a good time with Cassie before I got the 'it's time' call

I was having a good time with Cassie before I got the 'it's time' call. This was the first time that we had an actual conversation, and I had to fucking leave. I could tell that she started warming up to me and had a lot on her plate, but I didn't want to ask. I don't like it when people pity me, so I understand. But damn, that girl was something else. I wouldn't mind keeping her company for the duration of the trip.

I walked into the room, Noah and I shared as he stepped out of the bathroom. Brooklyn was passed out on the bed, probably drunk, like Cassie.

"Yo," Noah groaned, trying to clear his throat.

"We gotta go," I rushed. "Now."

Once Noah got himself situated, I grabbed my mask and followed him out the door. I can't do this anymore. It's too risky and not the life I had planned for myself. But we had no choice but to make sure the job was done; that's why we're here. Our boss told us that someone was stealing money from him and planned to use the cruise as a getaway and stay out of the states. Once he tracked the guy down, Noah and I had to keep an eye on things, ensuring there would be no issues with the orders. And by orders, I mean making sure the guy is dead.

It all started three years ago when I met Courtney, aka Zane, my boss's assistant/secretary. Of course, I didn't know that at the time because I didn't work for him. During spring break, I hit it off with Courtney, and she introduced Noah to one of her friends. We continued our fling even after spring break when I found out that she also lived in LA. Long story short, she introduced me to Zane, and before I found out he was crooked as fuck, we hit it off. Noah and I liked to party, and Zane introduced us to another side of life. We were partying with him every day, feeling on top of the world because we had this powerful, rich dude on our side, paying for everything—even our apartments. But it backfired. When we found out about his sick operation, we wanted out, but Zane wouldn't let us off easily. He demanded all of the money he spent on us, and we didn't have it. So, he made us continue working for him until he said so, or it's a death sentence, and I've seen what he's capable of. Now, I don't know how the fuck to get out of this. 

Noah and I were supposed to keep watch, making sure no one came to the rear of the ship. It's early as hell, and I doubt anyone would be up but the elders that get up at the ass crack of dawn. That could never be me.

I stood on the opposite side of Noah and adjusted the black mask covering my face. I'm usually careful about disguising myself, so I wouldn't get anymore caught up than I already was.

Ronnie and Vince, the hitmen, carried Juan near the rails as I stood post. I only met them once and had to stay away from them during the trip if anything went wrong tonight. Besides, they're not the kind of guys I'd be voluntarily hanging with anyway.

The two men doused Juan with water, waking him up, but it took him a while to catch on to his surroundings. It took him some time before he started spitting out water, gasping.