20. "The poet & photographer"

"Fletch, can you spot me?" My best friend, Charlotte, asked, laying on the bench above a weight set

"Fletch, can you spot me?" My best friend, Charlotte, asked, laying on the bench above a weight set. We've been friends for six years after we tried going for the same girl(it didn't work for either of us). I was there for her when she came out to everyone, and we've been hanging out ever since. It's natural to us because our personalities are similar; she's the girl version of me —covered in tattoos and all.

I dropped the set of free weights and stood over top of her. "One-seventy? Do you not see how small your arms are? They're going to snap." She's tiny, probably one-hundred and ten pounds soaking wet with blonde hair that she recently dyed.

Charlie loudly groaned and kicked her feet up. "You are an asshole." She scoffed and sat up. "Not everyone can have a body like that. And all of the girls I bring around you, give you googly eyes and shit. I can't compete with that, so these arms aren't going to get bigger themselves."

"You put up hard competition, though." I laughed, picking up a set of weights to curl while Charlie stepped on the elliptical. "Remember Jamie at the beach? She was torn between the both of us."

She threw her head back in laughter. "And she wasn't even gay, but I wasn't going to let you win. But we're too competitive, and it didn't work."

"Neither of us did," I said.

Charlie cleared her throat and scratched her head. "I don't know about all that." She slammed her fingers against the machine. "You're distracting me. I have goals."

I rotated my arms. "This doesn't have anything to do with your ex, right? You haven't asked me to the gym in weeks. You cool?" I asked on a whim.

She scoffed. "What? No." She played it off, "I don't give a shit about her or her perfect skin and nice body. I'm over it, and that's final." Charlie kept nodding her head like she was trying to convince herself.

"Not to be that kind of person because we talked about this before, but I hate that you keep trying to change yourself for someone that cheated on you. You're perfect how you are. Skinny arms and all." I tried making her laugh while playing the big brother role.

She sighed and stepped off the machine. "I just don't understand. We were together for a year, and she left me for some bodybuilding, manly ass bitch." Charlie puffed her cheeks and gasped, "God, what am I saying? This isn't me. Let's not talk about it anymore."

"Stop getting girly on me." I sat on a nearby bench and faced her. "But you know I'm always down to talk if something is bothering you."

"Ew, stop. This soggy ass conversation is making me itch. I'm one of the bros; talk to me like one." She quickly got herself together and lightly punched me. "Let's say fuck the gym and get a beer? I'm losing my game, and I need t find it again."

"Shit, I wish, but I have to go to my Mom's for dinner. She's fucking trying to set me up again." I wiped my face with a nearby rag as Charlotte gathered her bag.