63. "I'm still breathing"

After picking up Erin from the skyrise downtown for her audition, we settled on spending the day at the beach

After picking up Erin from the skyrise downtown for her audition, we settled on spending the day at the beach. Instead of my house, we went to Long Beach and changed in the bathroom. To my luck, the weather was perfect, a mix of heat and the light breeze from the water. I've never been to another body of water here, well besides Santa Monica, but I didn't swim.

It was packed, colorful umbrellas spread through the sand, kids making sandcastles and running around, and the seagulls were loudly squawking. The sun was exceptionally powerful, making it hard to see without squinting.

"I don't remember the last time we hung out like this," Erin said, kicking her bare feet through the crystals of the sand. Standing on it too long started to burn because it was so hot. "And I'm not complaining."

I took a second to think and looked around. "After you came to my house for the first time, you felt bad and took me to breakfast the next day." I used my hand as a shield while we looked for a place to settle.

"God, that was so long ago!" She bumped into me and breathed out. "Then we just stopped talking."

"I'm not going to let that happen again," I implored, my hair blowing and tickling my back.

Once we found an open spot and laid our decorative towels out, I removed my coverup and laid on my back. I knew I would get awkward tan lines, but I'll deal with it later. Erin mocked my position with her face in the same direction as mine.

She remained quiet for multiple seconds, staring at me with a silly smirk. "How was the audition," I asked.

She shrugged. "It honestly was a breeze. It would've been faster, but there were so many other girls. They asked me questions, checked out my portfolio, took my picture, and made me walk for them. One of the women said she liked my personality, which is a plus in the modeling world."

"So, there's a possibility that you'll be moving to LA with me?"

Erin adjusted her black swimsuit. "Fingers crossed."

The moment went silent again before she broke the ice. "I like this, you, Cassie. You're so different from the girl I saw at my door a few months ago. I know we don't talk every day, but I'm so happy for you."

I laid my face in the towel and smiled so hard. When our eyes locked again, I said, "That means a lot to me, Erin, coming from you. Someone that knew me when I was at my worst, and I've been trying so hard. I know everything isn't going to be rainbows and skittles, but I have something to look forward to, you know?"

"I can tell," She reached over and flicked me. "Even last night, at the bar, your smile was contagious. I know I'm only here less than twelve hours now, but I'll be back. I feel good about this company, especially if I travel for it. Back home, so many companies didn't want me, and it fucks with your confidence."

"They'd be stupid," I faintly laughed. "Thank you for being my friend even when I wasn't one back."

"I still know what's up, Cass. I don't need you to tell me every day. I'd think you'd be in love with me or something." She joked, trying to make me smile, and it worked.