41

Chapter 41

I know exactly why people hate drinking the day after. There was not a cell in my body that was comfortable, every single bit was cramping and writhing in discomfort. At least the bed was soft and comfortable. Carefully, I stretched my hands, fingers unwrapping around what seemed to be fabric. Peeping through almost shut eyes, I noticed the soft black jacket laying over the corner of the bed, in stark contrast to the white sheets.

White sheets?

I sat up, startled, and a little dazed. As far as my foggy memory took me, I had come home with Noah. I should have been wrapped in black sheets, the window was supposed to be on the other end, the curtains should have been deep red. Where on earth was I? My outfit was intact, but I was cold, or so I convinced myself as I put on Noah's jacket.

I'm never drinking again.

There was a mirror on the side, and I quickly patted my hair down before heading out to explore my surroundings. As soon as I turned the knob, I knew where I was. This was Noah's guest bedroom. The one I was supposed to be staying in when I was left behind at the party. God, that felt like ages away. How did so much happen in such little time?

Why would he put me in his guest bedroom?

I wiped my unshed tears before walking out, hearing the upbeat music playing in the living room. Of course, Noah was working out. I tried not to look at his defined body and the way his muscles rippled as he lifted the weights over his head as I emerged from the hallway. He completed his repetition before looking up, seeing me staring at the floor, trying to hide the obvious blush colouring my face.

"Can you call a cab home?" He huffed, taking a towel to wipe his forehead.

This was so awkward.

"I can't find my phone," I muttered weakly. Noah pointed to the couch where my purse lay, and I fished out my phone quickly. I pressed the lock button twice, but to no effect. Fuck.

"Can I borrow your charger for ten minutes? Just enough to turn this on."

Coldly, Noah rolled his eyes before heading into his room. He all but threw the charger at me, and I plugged it in a socket near the dining table. To avoid looking at him, I continued staring at the black screen in front of me, hoping the device would turn on soon.

Silence with Noah was often nice. We'd had our days when we'd sit on opposite ends of this table and do our assignments or just watch our own separate shows, but this silence was like a thousand thorns puncturing my insides.

"Listen, I'm..." I started to thank him for the coffee machine, but he interrupted me.

"Look I'm sorry if me helping you last night made you think we can still be together, but you shouldn't have kissed me. We're done."

"I kissed you?" I must have been more drunk than I thought. Embarrassment coloured my cheeks as I wondered what that would have been like. I mean, I wasn't a terrific kisser anyway, and to be drunk on top of that...

"Can your boyfriend come pick you up? I have to go for practice." He dodged the question. I looked up, confused. What boyfriend?

"I can take the bus if you're getting late."

"You know how I feel about you taking the bus. Especially looking like this."

"Why do you care?" I angrily wiped tears slipping down my cheeks, "You obviously don't care enough to say sorry, or to want me back." I muttered under my breath as I walked past him to grab my purse. Even if my phone was dead, I could survive in the daylight.