20.

Chapter 20

After Eleanor left, I spent the rest of the day finishing up work, trying really hard to not let Noah distract me. Of course, it was pointless to even try, but I persevered for a whole forty five minutes before accepting a video call from him. With my phone propped against the wall and a book in place to stop it from falling, I continued working on my assignments on the laptop, even as he kept distracting me with kissing noises and lame puns.

Already we were arguing about him attempting to pick me up for classes tomorrow, and by the time we reached a conclusion, I was exhausted. He didn't see the point in me hiding anything from Eleanor and I didn't see any possibility in which telling Eleanor would go down well. Her obsession with him was definitely strong enough to make her want to kill me and I would be the first one to hand her the knife. Wasn't it the first rule of any girl-friendship? Never go after the man your friend wants?

In my head, I could see the arguments already forming.

Technically, I never went after Noah. He wanted me. He was never interested in Eleanor. He said so himself. I tried my hardest to resist, didn't I? That ought to count for something.

Ultimately I managed to get two weeks time from Noah, after which he would do the honours himself. I couldn't imagine how utterly terrible she would feel hearing it from Noah, and how deeply it could hurt my relationship with her. Potentially, in the worst of my dreams, Eleanor could choose never to be friends with me again.

The terrifying thought kept me awake most of the night, and by the time I had locked my bike in the college campus, I had lost hopes of appearing well rested. My hair was gathered in a bun, and I had not been able to gather the courage to try and apply any concealer. My scar was covered, but the rest of it could go fuck itself.

Sophie: We're near the soccer ground.

Eleanor: Shouldn't be hard to spot us :P

Brianna: on my way. Have to stop by the library first.

Only I didn't have to stop by the library, but the science wing. I jogged up to the spot Noah had directed me to, a dirty, cluttered space near the old stairs that led to the back of the closed wing. Noah was already there, smoking a cigarette and watching something on his phone. He had airpods on, so I snuck on him easily, grabbing his phone off his hands with ease.

Noah jerked, before a stupid smile came on his face, "I could have hurt you."

"But you wouldn't have," I shrugged, handing his phone back to him, leaning in to him. Noah was quick to oblige, chucking his cigarette to cup my face and gently kissing me. Slow, unhurried, lazy, it was like he was pouring endorphins into me, making me float. I clung to him, intoxicated by his scent and the faint taste of the smoke on his lips.

"I could get used to this," He commented, finally letting me go, taking a good look at me, "Someone looks tired."

"I am, I didn't sleep well," I confessed. Noah kissed my cheek in response, leaving a tingly sensation behind, "Is this about Eleanor?"

I nodded. Noah didn't offer any advice like last night, knowing I would probably turn them away. He pulled me closer though, and I allowed myself to be comforted by his hand rubbing down my back. When asked, Noah could be an absolute sweetheart, which was tearing me apart. Had this been only about how ridiculously hot he was, it would have been easier to choose, if it ever came down to that. Now, as I stood at the crossroads, I didn't know how I could choose.

"You have practice now?" I pulled away eventually, losing his warmth. He looked at his phone, "In twenty minutes."

Well that explained why Eleanor called me there.