08.

Chapter 8

"River, can I have my blue top back?" I called to her, hoping she could hear me over the shower running.

"Which one?"

"The one from my wardrobe that you stole from me!"

"Take it from my room!" her voice was faint over the sound of running water, so I ignored the rest of what she was saying and headed over to her room. Sheesh, I knew River wasn't the cleanest person around, but her room was giving me major rat infestation vibes. No wonder she restricted her dates to the living room. If they ever saw the mess she was living in, they would run for the hills and never come back. Navigating through the piles of garbage, I reached her wardrobe, opening it with much difficulty as the piles of rubbish under it remained immobile.

Fuck.

A putrid smell wafted from the wardrobe, and I shut it immediately, making my escape to fresh air. I needed to have a conversation with her about this, or she would have to find a new place to stay.

Later, though. At hand, I had more pressing matters to attend to. Like how it was Friday evening, and the clock said 6.30pm and I was still not ready for my date with Noah. It wasn't like I wanted to dress up or something, but the lack of decent clothing options in my wardrobe was making me cringe. A shopping trip was desperately needed, and I would have to take Eleanor along, because she always knew where the sale was on and where to get the best deals.

I put together dark black jeans and a baby pink top, but then exchanged the latter for a basic yellow graphic tee shirt. The pink top looked like I was trying when I wasn't. Feeling satisfied by my outfit, I swiped on eyeliner and my usual shade of lipstick. The last bits of my concealer went over my brow and the tube stuffed in its designated bag for refilling.

@noahsterling: I'm here, come downstairs when you're ready. (6.54pm)

@noahsterling: Bring a smile with you, please? (6.59pm)

I shut down the smile I found creeping up on my face. No. Noah might be a good flirt, but I knew that he was looking for nothing more than a fuck which I wasn't. I would prove him wrong because I would never fall for his charms.

"I'm going out, bye!" I called out to Nathan and River, who were huddled up on the couch watching some true crime documentary.

"Please get laid and come back!" Nathan said, not even taking his eyes off the screen. Shaking my head and rolling my eyes, I exited home. Nobody was getting laid here.

The wind outside was strong and biting, almost strange for this time of the year. I pulled my coat closer, almost half glad that Noah had parked his car right in front of the apartment building. Spotless, clean and shiny, Noah's car screamed the fact that he was a Sterling. With more money than my parents could have imagined in their life, the Sterling family name was reflected in every aspect of Noah's life. From the fancy car with a logo I recognised as a BMW, to the fine looking leather jacket he was wearing. Noah was floating in a pool of money and living in heaven.

I took a glance at my old flimsy shoes. Noah and I couldn't be more different if we tried.

Exhaling sharply, I rolled my eyes at his satisfied smirk as I sat in the car, shutting the door as carefully as possible.

"Hello," His voice was smooth, yet cold, like an ice cube melting on a hot summer day.

"Hi," I forced a polite smile on my face, more occupied with taking in the interiors of the car. Pitch black, just like the outside, plush cushioning all over the seats and a glowing panel in the front, already showing the directions to some destination.