02.

Chapter 2

I walked back home with Nathan constantly watching over my shoulder, terrified that Noah might show up out of a dark alley and kill me for mocking him. What I said couldn't have been that bad, right?

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Nathan said as I looked over my shoulder one more time before crossing the safety of the iron gates of my apartment building. I shook the feeling off me, "It's nothing."

"Come on, spill to your agony aunty," he pulled me into his chest. Unable to say no, I told him what happened this morning. Nathan rolled his eyes, "You guys aren't in high school anymore, so why is there so much drama in your lives?"

"I wish I knew," I sighed, turning the lock of the house, carefully listening to any sounds. The TV was running, but the rest of the house remained silent. Deeming it safe, I pushed the door open, relieved to see only River on the couch. Her shirt was inside out, so it was obvious that her visitor had left recently, but I didn't care. At least I could come home.

"I was lonely without you guys," she complained, pulling me in for a hug.

"Sure you were," Nathan winked as he turned the TV off.

"Hey!" she complained, "Just because you don't have a life doesn't mean that none of us can have one!"

"I'll have you know that I got absolutely annihilated at Brett's party last week," Nathan shook his butt at us, "And I have scored the guy's number too."

"Oh my god, you sneaky bitch! Spill the details!" River screeched.

"We have more important things to discuss," Nathan filled her in with the events of this morning while I brought out a fresh set of sheets to spread over the couch. I couldn't be arsed to sit and disinfect the whole thing, so this was the next best alternative.

Phone in hand, I was clenching and unclenching my fists to read the message. Why did the app not preview the messages on the notification screen?

"Do you guys follow each other?" River asked me as I opened the app finally, building my courage. Me and my dumb mouth shouldn't have run like that, knowing full well I should have been careful about the Sterlings. I shook my head though, I didn't follow Noah Sterling on Instagram or any other social media. We had never crossed paths before unless you counted the one time I accidentally bumped into him at a party two months ago. He hadn't even looked at me, hadn't so much as apologised before walking away.

"Okay, open it," Nathan prodded me when my fingers hovered over the requests folder. Rolling his eyes, he offered his hand, "Do you need moral support?"

"What's the worst that could happen?" River asked, making Nathan and my head snap to her.

"He's William Sterling's son, I'm sure the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree." Nathan shrugged before encouraging me again, "Go on."

Please don't be a death threat, I prayed to whoever was spinning the planet, finally tapping on the message.

*

I checked the time on my phone again, reminded of the text from Noah last night one more time. Even after the night had passed I was no closer to shaking off the odd feeling from my back. I felt incredibly seen, like someone had stuck a target on my back. I huffed, I had been the one to place the target on my back. Sophie was still narrating the same story from the past fifteen minutes, and I was only responding appropriately to keep her talking. When Eleanor giggled, I let out a half laugh too, unsure of what was so funny. The greenery on the campus was far too distracting.