28

Laying down on the bed horizontally, West let her head hang off one side and her feet hung off the other. Staring on the wall, she counted each book until she knew that there were exactly 36 book. Some small. Some large. All of them containing stories that West had already enjoyed.

"What are you doing?"

West tilted her head up to look at the door. Standing there was John with a few crackers in his hand. He took a bite as he waited for the girls response.

"What does it look like?"

"It looks like you're dying." John chuckled slightly.

West bit her lip at his words. She leaned her head back over the edge of the bed as she thought about how his words were partially true. They were both technically dying because soon all their food would run out.

"Have you read all these books?" John asked, pulling West from her thoughts. 

John stood in front of her, making him look upside down. The boy grabbed a book from the shelf, flipping through the pages.

"Yep, some twice." West responded. "That ones about kids that got stuck on an island. It was good, but my favorite character died."

John picked up another book and flipped through the pages.

"Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet."

"Have you read it?" West asked John as his eyes skimmed the first page.

"We read it in class in school on the ark." He explained.

"Go ahead and read it again. I've already read it a few times."

John shook his head as he put the book away.

"Get up." He said to the girl.

"Why?" She questioned his sudden instruction.

"Because we're going to go do something."

"Do what?" West asked not moving.

John sighed, realizing West had no intention of getting up from the bed. He walked around until he was behind her. West flinched when she felt Johns hands wrapped around her ankles. Pulling on her legs, John tried to get West off the bed. Her hands gripped the bedding as she was slowly pulled.

"John let go." She complained as she tried to kick him.

The boy only laughed as he kept pulling. Soon her butt hit the floor and she was off the bed. The large blanket from the bed had fallen to the floor with her. West crossed her arms, glaring at John. When she didn't move to follow him he reached for her ankle once more.

"No!" West protested as she jumped to her feet. "I'm getting up!"

Following behind John, the two headed to the living room. He moved through the bunker until the two were standing in the room filled with alcohol. John looked around before he pulled a bottle from the shelf. Grabbing a few more, West watched in confusion.

"What game are we playing now?" West asked.

"Not a game." He said as he set the various bottles of liquid on the table. "I just need someone to get drunk with."

"I don't want to get drunk with you John." West said as she backed away.

"I hope you know if you get back in that bed I'll just drag you back out here."

Sighing, West fell onto the couch. She sat crisscross facing John as he too sat down. Reaching out, he grabbed two small bottles of wine. He set one next to him as he pulled a bottle opener out of the pocket of his sweats. Pushing the screw into the cork, he popped open the bottle.