24

The girl pointed forward to the outline of land in the distance. A light came from a large tower on the ground. West smiled as she looked at it. Around her, the men cheered.

"Yes!" Murphy yelled as he threw his hands in the air.

The two men quickly began rowing as everyone laughed. They would survive. As the two started moving forward, the man in the back dropped his ore into the water when the boat shook. West held her seat, confused at what made the boat move.

The man leaned forwards to get the ore when the boat shook one more. This time it was more aggressive, making him fall overboard.

"Richards!" The second man called.

John reached for the man he tried to swim closer. Jaha called for John to grab the oar. Wests eyes stayed trained on the water. A dark figure moved under the surface.

"There's something in the water." She gasped.

West turned to John and leaned over the side to help him grab the man. Suddenly, a creature came from the water and grabbed ahold of Richards. It's fang like teeth grazed Wests are and deeply cut into Johns. West screamed as she backed away. She clutched her arm to stop the bleeding.

"My arm!" John cried making Jaha hurry to help him.

Ripping a piece of fabric from his clothes, Jaha wrapped Johns wound. The other boy began freaking out, asking where Richards had gone. His eyes frantically searched the water.

"What the hell was that thing?" West asked breathlessly.

"We need to row, now." Jaha ignored her as he talked to the boy.

The boat began shaking again as it was hit from the bottom. Pieces of the wood broke causing water to burst inside. Jaha yelled at Craig to row, but he was too scared to listen. More water began filling into the boat. West tried to reach for the ore, but it was too far in Craig's hold to reach it. 

"We're all gonna die." Craig continued to mumbled to himself.

"Give me the oar!" West screamed at the boy.

He wouldn't listen as he continued to mumble to himself. Jaha stood and headed towards Craig. Ripping the oar from his hands, Jaha threw it to John. Jaha grabbed Craig's shoulders and before West could blink Jaha threw him into the water. West and John screamed as he was grabbed by the monster. Everyone watched as the creature devoured Craig. West yelped when she felt Jahas hand touch her shoulder.

"No get off of me! Please!" She screamed as she tired backing away.

"Don't touch her!" John screamed at Jaha. "If you move another inch towards her you will be killed by that mosnster before she can even touch the water."

West let out a breath when Jaha removed his hand from her arm.

"Then you better start rowing if you want us to live."

John quickly grabbed the paddle and began moving the boat. West grabbed the second oar and started to row as well. Jaha sat at the front of the boat looking towards the land.

"Why?" John asked in disbelief.

"Because we deserve to live." He said.

West and John strained their muscles as they rowed as fast as they could. The only thing heard was the occasional grunts of pain from Murphy. Landing on shore, Jaha fell out of the boat to pull them to land. West and John waited before getting out of the boat. John looked down at his arm he held close to his body.

"John, let me help you." Jaha said, ignoring West.

"I don't want anything from you." He spat.

The two talked more, but West payed no attention. Her focus was on the land that she desperately hope was safe.