22

The long journey to the city of light had begun. West said her goodbyes to the few people in camp that cared about her leaving. The hardest goodbye was to Jasper. He was one of the nicest people to West. She didn't want to hurt him by leaving, but she promised she'd be back.

On Wests back was her backpack from the drop ship. All that was packed was some food, water, some clothes, her hammock and knife. Not having many items, West didn't have much to bring.

"Apparently Jaha thought more people would join him." John said as he walked up to West.

West looked to the boy before looking at the people around her. The group was small, only consisting of around 20 people. All of them seemed to be misfits like her. Though not criminals like her and John. 

"Probably because there's a high chance of death searching for something that may not be real." She dryly stated.

"It's Earth," John said as he motioned to the trees around them. "There's a high chance of death everywhere."

"Is that why you decided to leave camp?" Wests question confused the boy. "There's a possibility of death everywhere so might as well see if there's a place where the chance is low."

"That sounds like you're speaking for yourself." John pointed out.

"Partially, yes." She admitted. "I think I'm also speaking for you."

"Partially, yes." He sarcastically repeated her words. "Mostly, no. I don't belong in that camp and I'd like to actually live. If I stayed there I know wouldn't last long. Not just because of Earth, but because of the people."

"You think you'll last long out here?" she tried to clarify.

"No, but there's a better chance."

"Let's camp here for the night." Jahas voice called from the front of the group.

The people let out sighs of relief as they began to set up their camp. West silently thanked Jaha as her wounded legs were hurting. Finding two trees not too far apart, West set up her hammock. As she did, she saw Murphy move to trees a few feet away from her. Pulling his hammock from his bag,

"Out of all the tres in the forest you chose those two." West pointed out with a sigh.

"They're the only two small enough and close enough for my hammock." John rolled his eyes.

West rolled her eyes as well before jumping into her bed. The forest was pitch black except from the light coming from the small fire Jaha had made. Everyone except John and West were setting their beds up around it.

"Why aren't you sleeping over there?" West asked as she nodded towards the rest of their group.

"I don't want to spend any extra time with them then I have to." John explained.

West chuckled as she laid back. Her eyes shut immediately, knowing Jaha would only let them rest for a few hours.

"Damnit."

A quiet groan caused her to sit up in her hammock. Looking over to John, she saw him glaring at his hammock. She gave the boy a questioning look when they made eye contact. Lifting the fabric, he showed her a large hole ripped into the middle of the hammock. West let air out through her nose as a laugh.

"Just try it." West proposed. "Maybe it'll still work."

John groaned before throwing one of his legs over the fabric. He threw his other one in so he was sitting in it. From the bottom, West could see his heels sticking out of the hole. The sound of ripping fabric filled the air as the hole slowly began to get bigger. Before John could get out he fell through the hole onto the forest floor.