23

"John," Jaha shook the boy as he began to groan. "We've got to go."

For hours the group had sat in the sun until night had come. John took his time to wake, but eventually rose from his slumber. Jaha helped the boy stand as West watched from her spot a few feet away.

"Are you okay?" She asked him.

"I'm fine." He responded shortly.

A man stood and began talking to Jaha. He said they needed to go back to the camp. With no food, water or directions they wouldn't make it to the City of Light.

"Due North." John suddenly said. "She said go due north."

"What's due north John?" Jaha asked.

"She was talking about the City of Light."

Everyone began talking about what they should do. No one trusted that Emoris directions would help them. Everyone wanted to go "home."

"John, we have no weapons and no rations," Jaha spoke. "If we go north and you're wrong, then all of us will die. If we turn back now, we live."

"So that's it. You want to give up?" John spat.

"I didn't say that." Jaha responded.

"You didn't not say it either." West pointed out.

"That's the North Star." Jaha pointed into the sky. "After you."

John smirked as he turned from Jaha. He glanced at West before heading in the direction of the North star. West smiled as she began walking after him. She could hear Jaha talking to the rest of the group as she caught up to Murphy. Looking behind her, West saw Jaha and most of the people following.

"I believe this is what they call having faith John." Jaha smiled.

"Nah, I've just got nothing better to do."

West laughed at his comment as they kept moving. The two stayed silent as they moved. Wanting to break the silence West asked a question.

"So you did really like Emori, didn't you?"

"No. I didn't." John stated.

"Well you seemed to really like talking to her. Now you're blindly following her directions," West pointed out. "You don't seem like the type for blind trust."

"We did talk and I didn't blindly trust her. Following what she said is our best shot at surviving."

"What did you talk about?" West pryed.

"I liked you better when you were quiet." John sighed.

"I liked you better when you were nice." West rolled her eyes.

"When was that?"

"Never."

John scoffed and kept moving. More people in the group began to talk as the hours of walking had grown boring. One man began telling jokes. When he got to the punchline a few people laughed.

"I will take Jahas staff and beat you to death with it." John growled.

"Murphy." West swatted the boys shoulder.

John rolled his eyes not saying another word. The man began telling a different joke. As he was telling the punch line he stepped on something making a quiet clicking noise. In an instant the ground where he stepped exploded. The force of the explosion sent West flying backwards as she screamed.

She hit the ground forcefully making her groan. Sitting up, she saw the destruction of the explosion. Parts of the mans body where thrown through the red sand. Feeling liquid on her face, West reached up to touch it. Looking at her hand she could tell the warm liquid was blood.