Chapter 16: Memories

A year ago...

Kim Hyejin's POV

"Hyejin! Wake up!" I opened my eyes and saw pink hair. My eyes widened when I looked at my sister.

"What's with your hair?" I screamed at her. She giggled in response and flicked her new pink hair in two directions. Honestly, Aera unnie looks good with pink hair.

She made me stood up from my bed and pushed me to my bathroom

She made me stood up from my bed and pushed me to my bathroom. I was about to ask her why but she stuck her tongue out and told me to shower because she said I 'stink'.

After showering, I walked to the living room. It was quiet, no one was in the living room. I frowned and looked around. This time I walked to the dining room and-

"Surprise!" Aera exclaimed with both of my parents. My hand was on my chest in flabbergast.

"What's the surprise? Because you guys did," I said while laughing. They all laughed and mom cupped my cheeks and then hugged me.

"Happy birthday, darling." She kissed the top of my head. Dad did the same and they dragged me to the table where there is a red velvet cake.

'Happy 17th birthday, Kim Hyejin!'

I felt tears in my eyes as I smiled in such joy. I hugged the three of them and Aera ruffled my hair playfully. Aera picked up the lighter and lit the candle.

"Okay! Before you blow it, you should see the thing I bought for you! Mom, dad, come with us," she said and pulled me to the living room. She reached behind the sofa and picked up a small box.

I chuckled at how she hid it. She gave me the little light blue box and my eyes widened at the writing.

'Tiffany & Co.'

"Where did you get the money to buy this?" I asked and opened the box. I saw a necklace, a silver one. I picked it up from the container and looked at the charm.

It was a silver necklace with a simple chain and a heart-shaped key as the charm. It looked so pretty.

"Let me put it on you," Aera said and took the necklace from me

"Let me put it on you," Aera said and took the necklace from me. I turned around from her and put my hair up so it will be easier for her to put it on me.

After a few seconds, she finished and turned me around for her to see. She gasped and smiled. "It suits you." Her smile was warm. I smiled back and hugged her.

"I hope you will find the key to your heart soon, Hyejin-ssi," she was serious this time. We looked at each other for a moment and then laughed. "And that boy has to go through me before confessing to you," she said causing all of us to laugh.

I stopped laughing when I smell smoke. "Do you smell that?" Aera's laugh stopped abruptly. She quickly ran to the dining area, my parents and I followed her.

By the time we got there, the curtain was already catching fire quickly. Where did that come from?! The cake?! The fan must have moved the flame of the candle to the curtain. We shouldn't have put it so near the curtain.

Unnie was just standing there. She was so surprised but she looked at me with apologetic eyes. "You two get out, your mom and I will handle this," my dad rushed in and pulled Aera away. Aera dragged me outside the house and we saw the smoke getting thicker.

My mouth agape and my eyes widened in horror. I shakily turned to Aera who has the same terror on her face. "U-unnie! Mom and dad are in there!" I pointed at our now burning house.

When Aera didn't answer, I looked at her again. She was frozen in place as she watched our house burn. We suddenly heard sirens getting louder but we didn't turn to look at it in shock.

What does this mean? Are my parents dead?

I stared at nothing when one of the firefighters dragged both of us to an ambulance. I looked up and everyone was trying to put out the fire. It was chaos, I couldn't understand what was happening.

A few minutes later, I saw people carrying something. When I saw that, my heart dropped as well as my tears.

'W-were they carrying my parents' corpses?'

With my peripheral view, I saw my sister straggling towards them with tears tainted on her cheeks. She fell on her knees and slowly raised the sheet. I had enough time to see the burnt body of my beloved mother before Aera put it down again in dismay.

She looked at me in the eyes and shook her head before crying again.

I closed my eyes, my tears flowing down. I made myself think that is just a nightmare.

I opened my eyes. But it's not a nightmare, it's real. I sat up from where I was lying and put my hand under my shirt from the head hole. I grasped the cold-feeling chain hitting the back of my neck and pulled it out from my shirt.

I glanced at the heart-shaped key necklace. I heard someone's footsteps but I couldn't care less to look. The figure walked in front of me and stopped but I just looked at the charm of the necklace.

"Are you crying?" Jungkook's soft voice made me look up. It was indeed him. My fingers touched my cheeks, they were wet with my tears.

I didn't even realize...

Wiping them away, I sniffled while giving Jungkook space for him to sit on the couch. "Just had a nightmare, what time is it?" I said, trying to change the subject.

He gladly took a seat beside me and sighed. "It's just 4 AM, I came down to check on you. How are you feeling? You passed out in the graveyard."

"I.. p-passed out?" He nodded as an answer and looked down at my hand.

"That's a nice necklace, where did you get it from?" My whole body stiffened as he mentioned my necklace. I hid it back inside my shirt again and looked at him.

"Someone... special," I briefly said, sighing to myself. He cleared his throat and grasped my head gently and pulled it towards his shoulder softly.

I was shocked by this but I didn't move. It was rather warm by his side. It was very comforting, to be honest. My arm slid up to his and I grabbed it.

He planted a peck on my head and caressed my hair with his free hand. "Get some rest, Kitty..."