Chapter 15: Birthday

Kim Hyejin's POV

My shoulders fell as I gazed at the calendar on my phone. The calendar reminded me it was my birthday because of Aera. She put it so she would buy me a cake a year ago but now she can't.

We have no school today because it was Saturday. I tossed my phone on the sofa and rubbed my face tiredly. This day is already the worst for me.

Taehyung and Jungkook walked down the stairs, they looked like they just woke up. Taehyung greeted me good morning, Jungkook is just the same, ignoring me like last time.

But this time, I didn't care. I only smiled at Taehyung and stood up with a couple of clothes to change in. Maybe I should celebrate it. I guess it's time to visit my parents again. It has been so long since I've seen them nor talk to them—a year to be exact.

After my shower, I told Jin I wouldn't be eating breakfast with them because I'm going out. To be honest, I would really like to be away from Jungkook for once. I see him at home and school, there's no time of the whole day where I don't see him. It also because I want to shake off these feelings, I feel like it's taboo to feel something like this.

I got on my motorcycle which I got back from my apartment a week ago. I wore my helmet and started to drive the vehicle to the city. When I got to the cake store, I walked in and the staff welcomed me.

The cakes look nice. There are different kinds of flavours but one caught my eye. I walked to the cashier.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" He said with a warm smile. I smiled back and pointed at the red cake with frosting on the top and some nuts as the toppings.

"Can I get that red velvet cake?" The boy nodded and grabbed the cake for me to look at it. My heart flutters as I looked at it.

"Would you like me to write something on top of it?" He said and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and gave it to me. "Just put your name and the words you want on the cake."

My hand went for the pen and I looked at the blank paper. My hand started writing like it has a mind of its own and I read it for double-checking.

'Kim Aera - Happy 18th birthday, Kim Hyejin!'

I gave it to the boy and he reads it as I gave it to him. He smiled at me and grabbed a piping bag with a fine tip. He started decorating the cake with his artistic style of writing. "Is this for your sister?" He spoke making me stop but I smiled later.

"Yeah, it's her favourite cake, ought to buy it for her today," I replied and he looked at me after putting the letters on the cake.

"Well, I'm sure she's going to love it." He smiled and so did I. He started boxing the cake and put on a red ribbon and taped some candles on top of the box.

I thanked him and gave him the money. I walked out of the store with the box and looked around. My parents are near here, I can just walk my way there.

Jeon Jungkook's POV

I watched the window as I secretly waited for Hyejin to come back. It has been thirty minutes since she left and she hasn't eaten anything yet.

Is it my fault?

Maybe I shouldn't have been too harsh about ignoring her but she pointed a sniper gun at me. Yes, I saw that. I have always been high alert of my surroundings and I felt someone was looking at me like they want to kill me.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door. I quickly stood up to open it. I thought it was Hyejin but it was someone else. I think this is the girl she hangs out with all the time, her name is Jieun.

"Hi, you probably know me already." She awkwardly smiles. She was holding a box of something, I wonder what it is.

I smirked. "Yeah, you gave me Hyejin's number. Come in, are you looking for her?" I let her in and she looked around.

"Oh yes, I know she doesn't like celebrating it, but I came here with a cake for her birthday," she says as she puts the cake down on the dining table. I felt my body froze.

It's her birthday today?!

"Birthday?"

"Mhmm, it's her birthday today, she just turned 18. She didn't tell you?" I shook my head and she got worried. "Then where is she?"

"She left the house half an hour ago, she hasn't come back yet." Worry was evident in my voice as I started dialling Hyejin's number but her phone was turned off. "She's not answering her phone."

"Hey, gguk, who's this? And there's cake?" Jin Hyung said while walking in the dining room. He looked at the cake and read the words on the cake, his eyes widened. "It's Hyejin's birthday?"

"Do you have any idea where she might be?" I asked Jieun.

"There is a place. It's where her sister was buried."

Kim Hyejin's POV

I opened the gate and sighed. I walked inside and to where my parents are. I instantly saw my mother's face, she was smiling. I smiled too and put down the box and opened it.

I stuck the candle on the cake and lit it.

"Hey mom, it's my birthday. I'm finally 18." I tried to sound happy but there was a lump on my throat, I gulped that down but my lips quiver. I looked at my father's face, he was happy too.

"I thought it will be a good time to visit you guys again, I missed all of you..." The corners of my eyes started burning when I couldn't hear their voices. "L-let's sing, shall we?"

"H-happy birthday to me~ Happy b-birthday to m-me~ Ha—" I couldn't continue singing as I started sobbing. I looked at both my parents' picture on their tomb.

"I'm s-sorry..." I cried, trying to wipe off my tears but they kept falling.

My parents didn't kick me out. They died but I like to think that they kicked me out because it was less painful. I looked at the tomb next to theirs and read the name.

Kim Aera.

"We're f-finally a c-complete family, eh?" I laughed humourlessly.

"Happy birthday, Hyejin." I looked behind me and saw all of the members of BTS. Namjoon was the one who said that. I also saw Jieun crying behind them.

She walked to me and hugged me. "You said that they kicked you out," she sobbed on my chest. I looked up and saw everyone with sad expressions, even Yoongi. But I looked for some one's face and once I did, I felt relieved.

Jungkook sighed and walked to me. Jieun broke the hug, so I stood up. Jungkook suddenly hugged me tightly.

"Happy birthday..."