4.2 - Live 1. So cliche

Get myself in a car accident - check.

I open my eyes. I'm alive, I'm conscious. Here's my body, aching, but quite whole and mostly unharmed. Good.

I'm half sitting, half lying on the road, leaning on my elbow and knee - both are, of course, heavily scratched, as well as the palm of my right hand. I messed up my jacket and jeans. The second hand, with the Kukulakuku, is lifted up at a safe distance from the ground. Weird move, saving the watch when life is at stake..

What am I talking about, though? The hit was very weak. My thigh that took the hit is sore, but much less than I expected. I will probably get a huge bruise. Will have to wear longer skirts on the show, but it won't be worse.

I slowly sit, and immediately feel careful hands holding me.

- What the hell was that? When I said "hurry" I didn't mean rushing headlong like our life is in danger, - says Justine. She seems relieved that I'm fine, and tries to joke, while Andrea sits in front of me and examines my condition in the most serious way a medical student can.

- I'm fine, - I tell her, but she shakes her head.

- You may be shocked, - she says, - I'll call ambulance, just in case.

- Bullshit, - I get up, but my damaged knee protests and I begin to fall back. Justine holds my shoulder.

- See? - Andrea nods at me, - What if you've broken it?

- It's moving, - I demonstrate it to her, but she rolls her eyes.

- Then there might be a crack, a sprain and god knows what else. We're not going anywhere until we make sure you're safe.

- I am safe, - I reassure her, make one more attempt to walk, and succeed. Andrea looks at me suspiciously but, in the end, agrees to skip the hospital. I wave the driver, like, 'nah, I get hit by a car all the time, no big deal'. We're about to leave when I see that my phone is lying a meter away from me. Of course, I was holding it when the crash happened. Damn, Mika ...

I run to it, and to my horror find that the screen has a huge scratch and the phone doesn't turn on. But I'm not frightened by the fact that the phone is broken as much as the fact that our conversation with Mika suddenly broke off and now he won't be able to reach me. I don't know what he will think of! And I don't even remember his phone number.

But thank god, my karma decided that I've suffered enough. I put my SIM in Justine's phone on our way, luckily, find his number saved, and call Mika. He has already guessed what happened somehow, and immediately asks if I'm ok.

- Coaching is on Wednesday, you know, - he says then.

- Sure, - I reply, - It means two more spare days. Is that all what you wanted to say?

- Well, yes, and... - he seems to hesitate, and then sigh, - No. Do you know where is...

He names a street that I don't know, but try to memorize.

- Yeah, - I lie. But if I get finally the Net, it will be true, - So...?

- Here's the thing. Do you remember that I promised you a lesson? I'm keeping my promise!

- Oh, wow! - I reply, and my mood goes up to the sky, - That's great! And when do you want to meet?

- Tomorrow, at 12. I'll be there so you won't get lost. Is it ok?

And no more sudden cancellations. He actually wants it himself!

- Yes, would be just fine, thank you.

- Ok, get well and get some courage, the first week is the toughest, you know! See you.

And on that hopeful note he hangs up. I catch Justine's happy and proud look.

- I told you, - she says.

We stay at some cafe, ask for a pack of ice, and then wait for Justine to sneak out at the drug store for some bandages.

- Damn, it was your best pair of jeans, - Andrea sighs, looking at the hole on my pant. I try to put the cloth back together, but it looks awful.

Then I borrow Andy's small scissors and cut the same hole on the other pant.

- That should work, I guess, - my friend agrees.

When Justine gets back we confirm that, well, I'm fine. It's just a skin tear. No one will even notice!

- They won't, except that your face is scratched too, - Andy says, pointing at my right cheek.

- Yeah, that looks scary, - Justine adds.

- But I feel normal! - I insist.

I guess the ways I feel and I look don't match, because the first thing Emily says when she swings by to pick me up for the meeting, is:

- Girl, did you join the Fight Club or what?... Oh, right. First rule and all.

- Took an arrow to the knee, huh, - Gaspard probably quotes something as soon as he sees me.

- What does it mean? - I reply confused. He rolls his eyes:

- You limp, that's what I'm saying.

And Mika doesn't even try to be sophisticated:

- Oh wow, you look like shit! - he says when I arrive at the coaching lesson the next day, but quickly hides his grin, - I'm serious, though. You think you can work today?

- I'm stronger than you think! You won't get away from me this time! - I try to joke, and Penniman gives me another rewarding smile:

- Didn't even think of doing that! Let's work, then!