5.6 - Live 2. Luck Castel

And all the pre-show madness begins again. With all the same rehearsals, interviews, little silly things for La Suite, now it's also Mika who calls me every half an hour and tells me to change something in my performance or listen to my own suggestions.
His concept for this song was simple - I make up a story that I think fits the music, and tell it, ignoring the words. Since I always focus on the lyrics, he thought it would be a good exercise for me. Anyway, everyone else clearly sees that we're constantly in contact with each other, and is fully aware of what's going on, but doesn't say a thing for some reason. However, once I ask them, they say honestly - they don't care.
- You do need more help than us, - Karen says when we touch on this subject, - And I don't remember any other Mika fans in your team, so why not?
And I agree, why not? I was against it all because it was secret and seemingly unfair, but since we're open about it and apparently no one gives a duck, there's nothing to stop us!
Especially because Mika now tries his best to avoid physical contact to make me as comfortable as possible (yep, he figured it out as well), and instead establishes a reliable verbal connection, always listening and watching me attentively, letting me know that I'm not just someone to coach for only two hours and then walk away and forget about. This pride that I see on his face when I manage to get the passage right, or his worry if I'm hurt or too tired - it's inimitable. He cares about me, he wants me to succeed, and - yes, I can say that! - he likes me. Never in my life would I imagine that I could be friends with Michael Holbrook Penniman himself!

I believe it was his overwhelming care and support that helped me get back on track this quick. Inspired by daily brainstorming sessions with him, I was full of ideas and ready to share them with the world.
The coolest of them was probably the visuals for my show.
We were fortunate to have Luck Castel as a creative director this season, because working with him is nothing else than a pleasure. He is young (only 2 years older than me), creative, enthusiastic, open-minded, and, most importantly, has that special spark of madness. You'll see what I mean.

- Hey Luck! - I called him the second I entered the studio, - See? I'm standing and not falling apart!
- Good! - he laughed, and nodded on my crutch, - But let's see how you're gonna do without this thing.
I had to put it away and learn to walk again, slowly, but putting the most confident and sassy expression my face. It seemed to work, for Luck didn't complain.
We started with the basics - where to stand, how to sing, how to hold the microphone. At some point I just stood in the center of the stage while the lights flickered and projections were moving all around me. As much as I understood, the theme of my performance was similar to the original music video, with water around me, dim lights and fragile-looking ghostly creatures.
And all was well and cute, until I slipped and fell.
You-know-what was in pain again, and I felt that getting up would just make it worse. Seeing that the team began to worry, I stretched out on the floor and laid down.
- I'm fine, - I said, feeling like an idiot, - But this floor is so nice and shiny! Just decided I need to know it a little better.
I heard laughter on my left, and then Luck's face appeared above me.
- What, you're going to sing like that? - He asked. I shrugged.
- Why not?
I raised my hand and watched as water reflections, that should be on the floor, were playing on the sleeve of my white turtleneck. This gave me the idea.
- Look, - I said, took off my jacket and lay down again, exposing myself to the rays of the projector. Luck followed my actions, and suddenly, like with the click, his face changed.
- Don't move! - he exclaimed, and vanished from sight. A moment later, he appeared again, and gave me a microphone.
- Sing like this, don't stand up, - he ordered, disappearing again, and I heard him in my headphones, - And don't move yet!
I still looked up to see what he was up to. Castel was nowhere to be seen, but then suddenly the whole projection screens moved down to me, on the floor. Again I raised my hand and saw the same translucent fish is now swimming over me.
- Looks pretty cool! -  invisible Luck informed me, - Good job, Alice. Are you ready?
- Can see how it looks?
- I'll show you later, if you want, but we'll remake the whole thing anyway. Now let's go.
He turned on the music. When I finished, he said again:
- We'll probably remove the microphone and Lucy will teach you some graceful moves tomorrow. It's gonna be the strangest performance of the night. But people will definitely remember it.
- Thank you, Luck, - I said to the microphone.
- Come on, it's my job! Let's do one more time, shall we?

- And the audience is not distracted at the effects? - I asked Castel later, on what he just grunted.
- It's your task - to keep the attention on you, isn't it?
What do I have to say, I did feel like I can handle it now. This time it was easier to focus, for there was not any walking on the monstrous heels and remembering commands.
We finished the rehearsals tired, but quite happy. Traditionally, having applauded to each other, we left, and Luke just told me at last:
- I really hope it's gonna work and you'll stay on the show. Who knows what you'll come up with next time.