6.2 - Semi-Finals. Where is Emily?

No parties, they said. No bets, they said. No walking a lot, they said.

Screw you, I'm doing it my way, my karma said. And it always has the last word.

Flori and I walk only a few blocks from the studio, and (of course) we happen to stumble upon the person who I expect to meet the least - my father.

I mean, I heard that he lives in Paris with his new wife and a stepdaughter, but come on, there's 2 million people in this city, and I happen to cross paths with the only one I don't want to see now?
My first instinct is to hide my face, turn away, find shelter in a random shop or cross the road. However, he recognizes me and calls my name before I manage to escape. In addition to that, Flori drags on my sleeve and asks out loud why am I trying to run away.
So I have nothing else to greet the parent I never asked for.
- Hello, - I reply as my father offers me a hug, a bit awkward because I don't react quick enough to hug him back and he pulls away too soon. We gaze at each other in obvious discomfort.
- So, uh... - he mumbles, as always, - How's your life? Living in a TV box, huh?
- Yeah, - I struggle to find words too, - Interviews, shows, all that stuff.
- Good. That's what you dreamed about when you were kid, huh. Oh, and I vote for you every Saturday! - he says, then remembers his usual question, - Going to college next year?
- I don't know. We'll see.
- Good, good. Oh, how's Nina? - he finally asks the right question.
- Mom's fine. She's out in Moscow, visiting her sister for a few months.
He nods approvingly. Then, after a second of silence, sticks his thumb back, assuming we've already had a polite amount of lines exchanged, - You're probably going somewhere with...
He trails off for a second, finally having noticed Flori next to me.
- Is it your girlfriend? - he asks then, throwing me into deep blush. Why does he care, really!
- Nice seeing you, we gotta go, - I grab Flo's shoulder and go past him.
- I mean, that's fine, but... Oh, well, bye, then, good to meet... - his words trail away as we increase our pace.
We walk a minute or two in silence.
- I mean... He's not that bad, right, - Flori mumbles finally.
- Well yeah, not anymore. I just can't help feeling extremely awkward around him. Like I'm 15 again.
I sigh. The happy spirit is gone like it didn't exist.
- I need a drink, - I declare.
- And a bigger company, probably? - my friend suggests.
- Hell yeah. Let's summon Wizard and Snow Queen.
Flo pulls out her phone and quickly types a message. Then she freezes.
- What if we take all the talents for a party? I mean, we're halfway through the show, it needs celebrating, all that stuff.

Lucas, Karen, Max and Gaspard show up, so here we are, our little company together again. Just like three weeks ago, only without Emily.

***

The second rule of parties with me, which my karma obeys with its usual enthusiasm, is following: when I'm at the event involving alcohol, some weird and silly gambling always takes place.

- What is that, are you still on your first glass? - Karen exclaims, even though she knows it's not true, - You're gonna miss all the fun!
- Emily once promised that you're a typical resident of your Motherland, who drinks vodka like water, - Flori supports her, shaking head.
- We didn't talk about Emily since she left, - Lucas remarks, - I wonder where is she now.
- Probably on her way to another reality show, - Karen shrugs, - It's the only thing she knows, really.
- Nah. I think she's finally given up. She was kinda disappointed this time.
- She was sure we'll see her again, - I have to add my two cents.
Flo is pondering something, a bottle in her hand.
- Let's make a bet, - she says finally, - We'll call her and see what's up with her. Who guessed wrong will lose and do something embarrassing.
So original.
- You stole this idea from me, - I mumble.
- Your friends gladly laid it out for all of us. They clearly want you embarrassed.
- Even if they're not here to witness it. True friends, - I sigh, - When did they have time to tell you this?