4.4 - Live 1. Busted! Part 1

It may seem that all my teammates do is party, I know, but, in fact, it's the first time they have a full meeting like this. As much as I know, they're all busy with interviews and rehearsals. Strange, but these things haven't affected me. Yet.

No matter what Mika tells me about destiny, my karma keeps dragging me wherever it wants. This time it's Gaspard. My knee gives out and I fall right into his arms as soon as I enter the place.

- Easy, Wonder-Alice! - The Wizard exclaims, - Emily told me things like this could happen. Come on, follow me.

He grabs my arm and leads me through the crowd. This time his hand is hot and dry, and I can clearly see those sparks of joyful madness in his dark eyes that you usually gain when you're tipsy just enough to relax. This guy gets even more charming when he's not shy. And, obviously, he turns into Emily. I mean, he starts talking. A lot.

- I heard that you like bets, - he says, - Don't ask from who I heard that, you know Emily knows everything. So she suggested to play "Truth or dare". And Lucas - remember that guy from Team Florent? - he turned out to have a very perverted imagination. So if we play tonight, you'd better get really drunk to have some courage. Worked for me, and Mika said we're alike, so it might work for you too!

- I don't need these things, - I assure him, - I am my own insanity source.

- Well, then I'm really envious.

- Here she is, straight from the rabbit hole! - Emily salutes as soon as she sees me, - Gaspard has told you what we're doing, so don't be shy and jump in!...

The night begins well. I'm a bit shy and embarrassed first, but the friendly playful mood catches me quite fast.
I learn some interesting things about my friends. For instance, why did they go to the show. They have their own reasons, but most of them said - prove something. That they're good enough, talented enough, skilled enough. Lucas wanted to escape the shadow of his famous elder brother, Emily was destined to be an economist but rebelled, Gaspard even ran away from home without anyone knowing about it! Only Karen always takes Dare and remains mysterious.
I get asked some questions as well. And my answers for some reason confuse everyone. Like: Do I find Gaspard or Lucas hot? (No), Do I even know what it is, "hot"? (No), When was my first kiss? (13. I kissed Mika's poster), Have I ever cheated on my boyfriend? (I did. Many times. With Adele, Patrick Stump and Dave Gahan. Last one was Nick Littlemore from Empire Of The Sun), If I could go on a date with anyone in the room, who would it be? (Myself. Nothing better than dining out and walking on the night beach alone). Pretty trivial, huh. After that, I think, they either doubt my sincerity or get completely confused, but I'm told to take Dare. I don't mind.

***

- ...Your Majesty! - Emily exclaims when the bottle stops spinning, pointing at Karen, - Truth or Dare?
Karen gives her a look that's supposed to mean "come on, why do you keep asking me that?".
- Dare, I suppose, - Amelie continues, - So. Now you take someone's phone, and you call a random person from contacts.

- That's not dare, - Lucas smirks.

- But she will have to take it from one of us, - she continues, - And, knowing you voice-imitating talent, you will confess in love.

Oh no. That doesn't sound good.
- So trivial, - quietly sigs Gaspard. He stands up and leaves with an empty glass in his hand.

- Let's see who's the victim, - says Emily and spins the bottle again. And guess on who does it point?

- Poor Alice, - giggles Lucas.
- That's what you get for not calling me hot, - remarks Lucas. Karen reaches to me for my phone:
- Come on, let's get it over with.
I obey, having a feeling that it's going to be bad.
Karen clears her throat and scrolls through my contacts.
- Who is Mister Brown? - she asks, and I freeze. That's how I named Mika.
- It's... - I realise that if I lie, it will be quite obvious, so I try to avoid the answer, - He's quite busy now, I wouldn't disturb him.
Karen looks attentively at me and narrows her eyes. I feel like she's reading my mind. Then she glances at Emily, Lucas...
- I'm calling him, - she announces, and taps the green button. Pure instinct drives me when I jump up and reach for my phone. Guys watch my move in surprise, but Karen is faster than me.
- Who is Mister Brown, why I shouldn't call him? - she says, backing off from me. What the hell is wrong with her, why is she behaving like that?
But her words trail off, as Mika picks up the phone.
- Alice? Something wrong? - we hear his voice from the speakers. I feel heavy looks of Team Mika on me.
- How did you get his number? - gasps Emily. I don't reply. I have to take my phone before Karen says something. But Lucas grabs me and covers my mouth with his hand. What's going on?!
And then Karen talks, making everything even worse.
- No, it's fine, - she says, mimicking my voice and my accent, - I wanted to ask about tomorrow...
- Yeah, it's good that you called. Can you come a bit earlier? I figured that this song takes more time than I expected, and you'd better go home before it gets dark.
Haw. It would sound sweet if he told this to me, when I'm alone.
Meanwhile, Mika continues:
- I know it sounds stupid, but knowing your ability to get into trouble...
- No, it sounds great, - replies Karen, - Thank you.
- Are you okay? - he asks suddenly, - You sound different.
- No, it's just broken microphone, - Karen replies, - So when do you want to meet?
- At 10. At the same place.
- Yeah, it's good. See you tomorrow. And Mika?
- Yes?
- I lo-
I break free and grab my phone. And hang up before Karen says something more.
It's over. He didn't suspect anything. He doesn't know... That I'm screwed up.
I look at Emily and her glare makes me want to fall through the floor and disappear. She looks like she's seen me dating with her boyfriend. Or worse. Dating her goddamn idol. That's what it is. I don't recognise her voice when she says:
- So, Alice, you have to explain us something.