6.4 - Semi-Finals. Partners

Mika calls the next day, and this time he has a song to assign:
- Your duet: Christine, Christine and the Queens (PikaClo here you go :D).
I hold back a squeal of happiness (it takes some time) and with a flat voice, I reply:
- On it. Might just stand up and go rehearse right now.
- Well I won't let you into my studio now, so find a piano or a mic and practice the hell out of it. You need to get Gaspard, though, he's quite informed in electronic music and can give you some advice. Won't be bad to have an extra listener as well.
- Any other advice from you, maestro?
- Don't overdo it. This song is all about flow and rhythm. And I will eat you if you screw up your voice and come to me like this tomorrow.
And so I go looking for the Wizard, although these days it's more like a video game quest: question one person for his last location, then search this location for clues, at the end finding an empty pack of sour worms and making a conclusion he's gone to find some more. All because the weirdo is never online once inspiration hits him, and he hides in some absurd place to write a song.
I find him on the floor right next to the vending machine in the empty cafeteria, with his laptop and little keyboard. I guess he figured that it's the most reasonable place to write, with candy supply in his reach.
So I climb on a nearby table and try to get his attention.
And I'm not surprised when he greets me with:
- Wonder why they call me Wizard. I mean, you're Wonder because you're Alice and you're a walking book reference, but why Wizard? What Wizard?
- The Emerald City one? - I make a guess. He smirks.
- Not a good compression, then, cause the Wizard of Oz is basically a fraud. Why are we named after fairytales at all? I mean, Lucas from Team Florent is called Gringoire. Is Notre Dame a fairytale now?
This question I cannot answer.
- Ask Castel or somebody from his crew. It's their idea.
- Nah.
And he's back to his writing. A few seconds later it hit him, though:
- Oh. Did you want something?
I chuckle, trying to imagine what it's like to be him - so focused the world almost ceases to exist.
- Yeah. Mika is trying to make us work together again, I guess.
He frowns:
- You mind it?
- No, not at all.
- Then get over here, - he makes a gesture that implies me getting on the floor next to him. With a second of consideration, I shrug and follow it. Should have gotten used to it already.
- Why does it every time I find you writing you're on the floor?
- Why do you think, dummy? It's comfortable. Now look at this.
He unplugs his headphones, presses Space, and I hear the track he's working on.

It's not very complicated, but it has a nice beat and a catchy loop on top. I slightly rock to the rhythm, try to flow with it - and suddenly find myself humming. It kinda sounds good, so I don't stop.
Then I catch Gaspard staring at me, almost astonished.
- What are you doing? - he says. It's a silly question, so I answer accordingly:
- Ugh, humming? It's kinda perfect for humming, don't you think?
That for some reason makes him ponder something hard. Then he points out:
- You know, you're right! I was just about to ask you what was wrong about it, and you got it. It needs female vocals! Maybe collaboration isn't a bad idea, after all.
- What, you're going to record me now?
- Well, not now, but I'll have to record an album sooner or later. I mean... - he sits straight and puts his laptop away to face me, - Do you have a plan for "after-Voice" life?
- Not really. Mika told me to apply for college, but I don't know yet.
- You mean, here, in Paris?
- Yeah, maybe.
- Because I'm definitely staying here. Find a fellow musician, make a group...
- And you think that fellow musician could be me?
- Well, yes, I mean, you will need a place to stay, right?
I consider it for a second. If this is what Mika meant by partnership, it doesn't sound that bad. Why haven't I thought about joining a band, really?
- We'll see, then, - I tell him, - It all will depend on how it plays out on Saturday.
- You already know how it plays out, - Wizard says, his smile slightly fading. And again, he's right.
- So think about it, maybe, - he continues, and collects his equipment, rising from the floor, - Now, what did you want from me, exactly?
- Just another thing, before we start working... - I tell him. Something I wanted to do in the morning, but had no time, and now is the perfect opportunity, - About those messages we sent yesterday...

I don't even need to finish, I see by the way his face changes that he guessed what I'm talking about, and it seems like he did not expect to hear that. Strange - he never tried to hide that he likes me. At least I thought so.

He frowns, while his eyes stay on me and his hands slowly pick up his laptop, as I say, a bit surprised:

- Don't look at me like that, I know it was you. Who else can it be?

...And I trail off, confused by his expression. Never thought I saw him show that much emotion - he looks genuinely terrified. He's almost panicking!

I hold back for a second, trying to phrase the next words as light as possible, but the moment I take a breath to speak again, the Wizard pushes me away and storms out of the room. I hear his footsetps receding down the hall.

Well...

I just keep fucking up, don't I.