0.4 - Break. Shipping & Frustrating

- Holy. Mother. Of God, - the first thing Andrea says after I tell her what happened yesterday, - It's like a fan fiction came true.

Can't disagree. It's so cliche I still don't believe it's happening.

- So he's going to give you private lessons, - Justine concludes.

- Uh-huh.

- And he gave you an unreleased song. That no one has heard yet.

- Yeah.

- And you do know what's gonna happen next.

- Y... What?

- What - "What?" - Justine rolls her eyes, - Remember: Step one  - come a little closer, step two...

Oh that fiction writers. Especially Justine, who is that kind of them that ships everything and everyone.

- No, that's ridiculous, - I reply.

- Come on! - Justine insists, - You can't ignore the signs! Isn't he calling you baby yet?

- No, he isn't even calling me about the lesson.

- He will, what else will he do? You two can't escape the fate, - she trails off, enlightened by a sudden thought, - Andy and I made you two together! Dang it, that is...

- No, Justine, stop! - I protest, making an attempt to push her off my bed. She resists, holding on to Andrea:

- Why? Isn't it what you dreamed about?

- No. I don't want to date him! I'm Miss Penniman, remember?

- Because he's older than you? It was a problem when you were 17, now you're a grown woman, and he...

- He has a boyfriend, Justine. Calm down.

I hit her sensitive spot. She sighs and lets Andy go.

- God dang it. Forgot about it, - she says, slipping on the floor. After several seconds of silence she gets up again, - But you still must have a love interest among those boys on the show! You said there was a weird guy, what's his name? Bernard? Gaston?...

Sometimes it's hard to follow her logic. I have nothing else to do than wonder:

- Why do you think I must have a crush on someone there?

- Because you're a young attractive girl, - she replies, like it's obvious, - In fact, all the guys would be yours if you got rid of that "panda thing" you have going on right now on your face.

I grab a pillow and hit her in the head. No one messes with my make up.

- Hey! - she resents, and pulls me on the floor. I prepare for a battle when we get interrupted by We Are Golden. We freeze. No one calls me except girls and mom, and they are all at home now.

Which means only one thing.

I spring back on my feet and rush to the bed, looking for a source of the noise.

- Is it... - gasps Andy.

I grab the phone and pick it up, turning on the speakers.

- Hi, Alice! - it cheerfully greets me with the familiar British-accented voice.

My girls stand up and walk quietly towards me with their eyes widened, as if they witnessed a miracle. I sign them to keep silence and reply to Mika:

- Hey, Mika! How's it going?

- Well, I'm good! Hope I'm not distracting you from anything.

- No, not at all! I'm not really busy these days.

- Good for you! So why I'm calling - I'm sorry, but plans have changed and I can't meet with you for now.

- Uhm, ok, - I stutter, searching for help from the girls, - Some time later, I guess?

- The thing is, - he continues, - I won't even be in France for the next two months, so...

Andrea rolls her eyes. Justine makes a silent gesture: "Why?!"

- I understand, - I sigh, as bitter disappointment, mixed with somewhat anger, spills in my stomach, - Italy stuff, am I right?

- Yes, "Italy stuff'. Hope you're not mad at me, 'cause I really hate to break my promises.

Piece of shit! - my first thought is. I hate, hate, hate when people give promises and don't keep them! Even if it's Michael freakin Penniman Jr!

Well, yeah, it is Mika. I should have expected that. He's Mika, he's always busy. Who am I to take his precious time?

- Ok, I gotta go, - he says before I reply, - See you at the show, Alice!

- Yep, see you, and have a nice day , - I reply.

He hangs up. I look at my girls.

- What a let down, - Justine says for us three, and adds, - I still ship you two, though.