0.1 - Break. Not a coincidence

I saw myself on TV last weekend. And, well, I was disgusted. I couldn't relate myself to that frightened, confused girl on the screen. I've never recorded myself on video, so I didn't know I was such a disaster.

So I've decided to fix it. Yesterday I started a YouTube channel where I will post my song covers, so I'll know how do I really look on camera and get used to it.

And today I'm going to sing in public until I don't feel awkward or stressed, or needed to dig myself in thoughts to concentrate. I'm so sick of being worried.

After the Knockouts I got overstressed and caught a quite bad cold. I arrived home nauseous and in terrible fever. Perhaps my nerves are too weak for things like TV shows. And I have to do something about it, right?

So here I am, with my little ukulele, on the streets of Cannes. I start playing by my apartment, then move on to the city center. As I expected, I feel awkward, but once I realise that people actually hear me and like me, it gets better.

But the closer I get to the center, the more I feel anxious, like if something's going to happen. I keep forgetting chords, I miss my usual subway train. When a string on ukulele snaps (I didn't even know it was possible), I understand that something big is on the way.

And I'm not even surprised when I see a familiar 1,91 m tall figure walking across the street with a big ginger dog by his side.

- Hey, Mika! - I hail the second after he notices me.

- Alice? - he, in turn, looks surprised, as he comes up to me, - What are you doing here?

- What do you mean, 'doing here'? Living! - I reply, laughing, - My apartment is two blocks away.

He gets even more confused.

- Really? - he says, raising his eyebrow, - For some reason I thought you live abroad.

- Of course you did. That's fine, I get it all the time, - I sigh and stand up to pack my guitar, then turn back to him, - My accent is weird, I know. But why are you here, Mika? It's not like you have an apartment in Cannes.

- You don't know for sure, - he smiles, - Maybe I've got!

- Trust me, I would have known, - I convince him, - I have my methods. I'm your fan, after all.

- Right, I keep forgetting that, - he replies, looking at me with his eyes narrowed, - To be honest, it's kinda strange.

- What?

- That you know everything about me and I don't know anything about you.

I shrug, as I can't come up with anything to reply. Mika bends down and ties up a lead to his dog's collar.

- Mel is even cuter than I pictured her, - I say, and come closer, - Can I...?

- Sure.

I join Mika and strike my fingers through Mel's soft fur. The Witch doesn't mind, but examines carefully my hands first, before gives them a big and wet friendly kiss. I think she likes me. For a minute we just mess with the dog, overwhelmed with her cuteness. Who wouldn't be?...

- You know what else is weird? - I say suddenly, - I dreamed about things like this all my teen years. You were always unreachable, and I, in fact, was fine about it. And now I'm petting your dog and talking to you...

- And how does it feel? - he replies.

- Well, I haven't freaked out yet, - I grin, - But surely I will, sooner or later. It just haven't got to me yet. So you should be ready.

He gives me a strange quick glance that I can't read, but doesn't say anything and stands up.

- Have you got any plans right now? - he asks, - I'm new to this city, and I would love to have a little tour.

- Sure, - I shrug again and put on my backpack, - I'm all yours today.