0.3 - Break. "Good Guys" / "Happy Ending"

Mika leads me to a cozy, but, for some reason, quite small studio. Staff nods at us (I mean, him), when we enter a large room, one half of which is separated by a wall with a window. You've seen studios, you know what I'm talking about.

We sit by the control panel, and Mika presses some buttons.

- This is going to be a song from my new album, - he explains, - And I'm going to perform it soon at the X Factor. You'll be the first to hear it.

Oh my God. I feel special. So special that it gets uncomfortable.

- Why me? - I ask to shake away that feeling. Mika shrugs.

- Why not you? You know my music very well, and I would love to hear what you think of this piece.

- Fine, - I lean forward, - Let's do this.

He presses play. I hear some gentle piano sounds.

Then Mika's voice is added, accompained by guitars:

It's not the cowboys that are missing anymore

That problem was already old in '94

Don't be offended this might seem a little wrong

Where have all the good guys gone

I close my eyes and let the music fill me. It sounds so gentle, like Mika gets right into my soul and very, very carefully touches it.

Pre-chorus follows the verse, when other voices join Mika:

If we are all in the gutter

It doesn't change who we are

Cause some of us in the gutter are looking up at the stars

Lyrics are quite sad, but they somehow give hope. I feel the familiar rapture in my chest, as the chorus approaches and my heart starts beating to the song:

So tell me

Where have all the good guys

Where have all the good guys gone

The longer I listen to this song, the more I understand that it's the most beautiful thing that I've heard in a while. Mika is back, and his music is more emotional than ever. It's like... liquid light, liquid warmth, filling your soul with unfathomable feeling of happiness.

That's the reason I kept loving this wonderful man all these years. He manages to put so much emotions in his music that it overwhelms you. It captivates you once you push the Play button.

- So... - Mika asks when the song is over and I open my eyes. He looks at me, reflecting my smile. I wipe off the tears and sigh.

- It's beautiful, - I say, - Incredibly, unspeakably beautiful.

His smile get even bigger.

- Thank you, - he says, - I'm very glad. This song means a lot to me.

I keep silence for a little more, enjoying the last drops of endorphin in my body. I haven't heard a euphorically good song like this for a long time. I almost forgot how awesome it feels.

Then, a random thought hits my head. And I say it out loud:

- I would love to learn it, - I sigh, - On piano. But I didn't remember the chords.

I don't mean anything, just expressing my mind. For some reason that makes Mika think.

- Hmmm, - he utters, - If you had it on your phone, would it help?

- Y..yes? - I don't understand what he's leading to.

- If I give you the song right now, will you promise to keep it a secret until the X Factor Finale?

Oh, wow. Treats!

And notice, he suggested it, not me!

- Yeah, sure, - I agree, - I promise.

- Very good, I'll be right back, - he carefully takes my phone right from my hands and stands up.

While he's searching for a needed file, I enter the recording boot and sit by the grand piano. I try to find the right chords of Good Guys from what I caught. I fail, so I switch to Happy Ending and play it, humming under my breath.

Mika soundlessly appears behind. He puts my phone on the table nearby so I can see it. Then sits next to me.

- I know you're doing it for yourself now, - he says quietly, - But you're doing it a bit wrong. Let me help you.

And for the next two-three dozen of minutes he,well, gives me a short singing lesson. And he says at the end that it was, well, not bad.

- You said you live here, - he says, when we walk out of the studio, as he offered to follow me to the station, - So you live two stations away from the studio, right?

- And fifteen minutes of walking to the subway, - I reply. Mika frowns and ponders something in his mind for some time. Then he says:

- I'm staying here for the next two weeks. I think I can give you some more lessons, so you will be more prepared for the Live shows.

I'm not even surprised anymore.

- That would be great, - I agree, - If it makes me less trouble, I'm all yours.

- Good, - he smiles, - Give me your phone number, I will call you next week.

And I give him my number, feeling like my phone has become precious. Girls won't believe me.

I walk home with that familiar feeling, like everything is unreal. All this day was like a dream.

For sure, I can say that Mika is not indifferent to me. And it's amazing and a little bit scary.