Chapter Eighty

Chapter Eighty

When Wallace came and told me he was going out for dinner, I could only nod my head and try to smile. I hadn't yet seen Dr. Nuardi Senior, and I wanted to talk to him first, before I spoke to Wallace about what I had found in his office. I was almost relieved though that Wallace was going out for the evening. It would be a nice change of pace to have him gone for the night.

Dr. Nuardi finally made his appearance about an hour after Wallace had left. Apparently, he had a busy day down in The Pit, and was just now able to come up for air. I snagged him as soon as I saw him, and offered to cook him up a hot plate of food in return for his company. He accepted graciously, and we were finally able to talk.

“Could you take a look at this for me, Doctor?” I asked, pulling out the paper I had scrawled down the drug names on. Dr. Nuardi took a quick look at the paper before sliding it back across the table towards me.

“You have cancer, Alice?” He said, raising one eyebrow.

“No. Is that what these drugs are for?”

“Yes. Where did you come up with that list?”

“I found them, in The Chairman's office. You didn't know he's been drugging the girls downstairs?”

“He's doing what?!”

“I'm not positive, but that's how I got this list. It's in their files. Each girl had a different medical sheet with these names on them.”

“Why in the world would he be doing that?”

“I don't know.” I said, lying through my teeth. I knew full well now, that Wallace was using the girls downstairs for drug testing, and my anger began to boil under my skin. “Don't say anything to anyone about this, please. At least not for right now. I'll talk to The Chairman about it tonight, and see if I can't get some answers. He might not even be giving them the drugs, and I'd hate for you to get into trouble over nothing.”

“Of course, Dear.” Dr. Nuardi said, waving his hand in the air nonchalantly. “It's not my place anyway, I'm just the surgeon here.”

Wallace came home very late that night. He looked tired, but otherwise happy. It was a small consolation, as I knew I had to speak with him about the drugs. I waited until he was settled into bed for the night before speaking. “Wallace, can we talk?” I asked, rolling over slowly and propping my head up.

“I thought you were asleep, Ali. I'm sorry, did I wake you?”

“No, I stayed up to wait for you.”

“What did you want to talk about, Sweetheart?” Wallace propped himself up with his pillows, and ran his hand through my hair.

“About the cancer drugs you've been giving the girls downstairs.” I blurted it out as quickly as I could to avoid my nerves getting the better of me. Wallace's hand stopped it's path through my hair, and he remained silent for a few moments before responding.

“What about them?” He finally said.

“Why?”

“There are hundreds of drugs out there that haven't yet, or can't be, tested on humans. I've been looking for a drug to help me.”

“But they don't have cancer.” I was more confused than ever now.

“No, but I can find out what kind of side effects there are by giving them the drugs first.”

“You're looking for a drug that will cure you then?”

“Heavens no, Ali. My cancer is far too progressed for a cure. I've been trying to find a drug to help deal with the pain.”

“You said you weren't in any pain.”

“Ali, I have stage four cancer. It hurts like hell.”

“Then why did you lie to me?”

“I didn't want you to worry about me.” Even with only the night light to illuminate the room, I could see enough of Wallace's face to tell that he wasn't lying to me.

“I'm sorry.” I said, now feeling torn about the entire situation. “I'm sorry, but I still don't think you should be giving those girls your drugs. There must be another way.”

“I'll make you a deal.” Wallace said, turning his head to look me square in the eyes. I held his gaze with my own and waited for him to continue. “I'll stop, if you start spending more time with me.”

“How so?” I already lived with the man, so I really wasn't sure what more he wanted me to do.

“Alice, we barely even talk to each other now that you have been going down to The Pit. I only ever see you when you drag yourself into bed at night. And even now, the only reason why we are talking was because you wanted something from me.” I lowered my head, realizing that he was right.

I had been spending every free moment I had downstairs, although it was accidental that it meant I had been ignoring Wallace. I'd just have to find some extra time in the evenings to squeeze Wallace in. “Yeah okay, Wal. You've got yourself a deal.” I said. I may have to spend less time downstairs, but if it meant that the girls weren't going to be given those drugs anymore, then it would be worth it. “How was your dinner?” I asked, switching the subject to try and lighten the mood.

“Not bad. Holly asked a lot of questions, mostly about you and Blake. But, she seemed completely oblivious to what has been going on. I'll admit though, it was nice to get out for a little bit. I wish I could have taken you with me.”

“Me too.” I said, my mouth watering at the idea of being outside again.

“And how did your evening go without me?”

“Fine. The girls seem to like the few changes I've already been able to make.

“That's nice. And the men have been treating you well?”

“Yes.”

We continued our conversation on a little further, each of us somewhat lightly stepping around any heavy business, before turning in for the night. Just as I was drifting off to sleep, Wallace woke me by gently rubbing my arm. “Hey, Ali?”

“Yeah?”

“I almost forgot to tell you. I talked with one of our resident teachers yesterday. You start studying for your GED tomorrow.”

“Okay.”