Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-One

Alice came to as Tess wiped a damp cloth over her forehead. She must not have been out for long because she saw there were still a few people sitting at the tables finishing their meals around her. Most of the crowd had formed a tight circle around the four of them however, and the air was thick with murmurs and not-so-quiet whispering. Wallace was on Alice's right while Blake was on her left, and Tess held her position at Alice's head. The floor felt blessedly cold as Wallace helped Alice up and offered her a glass of water.

She tried to smile as she accepted the glass and took a shy sip before handing it back and turning her attention towards Blake. His look of true concern only helped to hurt Alice's pride more, but she was thankful for it all the same. “Are you okay?” It was the first thing Alice had heard him say since their fight almost two weeks ago. Alice looked around and couldn't see Holly among the throng of onlookers.

“Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry about me, go enjoy the party with you're new wife.” The words came out more hateful sounding than Alice had meant for them to, but it still stung too deep in her heart to know that he had fully jumped ship on her. Blake brought his head towards hers and at first Alice thought he was going to kiss her. She tried to jerk back, fearing the worst kind of public humiliation, but Blake caught her head with his hand and brought her head towards his. Instead of a kiss, Blake brought his lips to Alice's ear and spoke in the softest of whisper his deep tenor voice could manage.

“We're not married yet, I only promised her the announcement as a Christmas gift.” Alice nodded her understanding and Blake withdrew his hand from the base of her neck. As his fingers pulled away gently, Alice felt him quickly curl her hair around a finger before he let his hand slide away. She shivered at the touch, and even after his hand was gone she felt the heat from his touch travel down to her stomach.

Blake spent the next few minutes checking Alice over for injuries as Tess ran and got Blake's bag from the ICU. She returned quickly and Blake pulled out his stethoscope to check Alice's heart. It felt like an eternity had past since her heart attack, but as Blake placed the cold round metal disc up to her heart, Alice realized it had only been a few weeks.

His intimate touch had left her heart pounding, Alice was worried he was going to find her too ill and send her back to her room in the ICU. She waited as Blake finished his assessment of her and place his equipment back into his bag. Blake was wearing a tux, same as every other man in attendance, but as far as Alice was concerned, he was the best looking man there. “You seem fine Alice, but I want you to take it easy tonight. No more drinks except water, got it?” Alice nodded her head as Wallace and Tess lifted her off of the floor and back into her wheelchair. It hadn't been the drinks that made her faint, but Alice knew she would follow Blake's orders just the same.

The crowd dispersed quickly as everyone came the the conclusion that the drama was over and Alice was left peacefully alone with Wallace again at their table. Alice watched Blake as he picked up his bag and hurried over to the other side of the room where Holly was waiting for him, drink in hand. Holly looked exquisite in her strapless gown that seemed more painted on than worn. It was bright red with a vee so deep that Alice wondered how it would ever manage to stay on or even up. Holly's long hair cascaded down her shoulders softly, and her smile at the sight of Blake's arrival made Alice want to hide in shame.

The dinner portion of the evening was finally over, and a quick check of the clock told Alice it was a lot later than she had originally thought. Pushing just past ten thirty, the small quintet orchestra began playing Christmas tunes as the tables were whisked away to reveal the built-in dance floor underneath. Wallace made small talk with Alice and the others that were at their table while the room was transformed into an intimately dark dance hall. As the lights dimmed so did the noise as people began pairing up and walking out onto the floor.