Chapter Seventy-Nine

Holly huffed as she got back into Sam's car. “Did you get a picture?” Sam asked as he helped her inside.

“No. When I got there, Blake was gone. The agent at the door told me that he was back in the O.R., so I waited. I finally met his doctor, and he told me that Blake had internal bleeding in his head, and they had to take him back in to operate so they could relieve the pressure. Dr. Nuardi said that he's not sure if Blake can manage another operation after this one, and insisted that he not have any visitors for a few days. I'm sorry, Sam.”

“No, don't be. Can't be helped, right?”

“Why don't you just go in and take the stupid picture. You're working for the F.B.I., right?”

“I'm undercover, Holly. Can't risk getting caught like that. I doubt any of the agents would believe me anyway.”

“Just call your boss, or I bet Luke would let you in to see him.”

“Doubt it. We're not on the best of terms right now.”

Holly let out a sigh as she ran out of ideas for the moment. “I ran into Wallace again today. He looks like hell.”

“I bet. Poor bastard, losing his friend like that, and his girlfriend.”

“She's not really lost though.”

“Yeah, but he doesn't know that.”

“True.” Holly's brain began to tumble as she contemplated Wallace. “Weird that he's not looking for her.”

“That's what I thought too.”

“You don't think that he might be . . .”

“The Chairman?”

“Yeah.”

Sam drove in silence for the next few miles, thinking about the possibility. Wallace could fit the profile, but there was still no proof. “Alice did say she knew him, and that she loved him.” Sam said to himself as he mulled everything over.

“What?” Holly almost screamed as she bolted up in her seat.

“Alice said that's how she got out of The Pit. She told The Chairman that she loved him.”

“But she doesn't love Wallace. Everyone knows that. She's loved Blake since the day those two met.”

“Yeah, but a girl can lie, can't she?”

“All the time.” Holly replied, trying not to smirk. “Especially if it gets her what she wants.”

“I can't believe I didn't see this sooner. It has to be Wallace.” Sam's excitement over his revelation almost caused him to crash his car as he dug around for his cellphone.

“Whoa there, Sam. Hold on. We can't be sure about this. You need to be certain it's him before you go getting everyone around here in a tizzy. Go talk to Alice, make sure it's him. One more night isn't going to kill you.”

“Yeah, yeah. You're right. It might not be Wallace. God-damned bastard.”

“Let's just make sure it is. Okay?”

“Yeah. Okay. I guess that means I'm going to have to ask you to do me another favor then.”

“Anything.” Holly's excitement was enough to make her giddy. She hadn't seen this much action in her life since she got caught sleeping with her professor at Washington State.

Wallace's phone rang just as he was getting ready to leave St. Micheal's for the day. The hospital had quickly become more like a prison as the F.B.I. agents made themselves at home. Dr. Nuardi, Blake's doctor, had been keeping the staff updated with news of Blake's recovery, and so far he was stable. The O.R. team had put a shunt in Blake's skull that morning, lessening the pressure on his brain, but the long-term results were still unknown. There was no sign of Blake coming out of unconsciousness, and everyone was beginning to wonder if he ever would. Wallace felt like he was replaying his life all over again, only now it was with Blake instead of Alice.

Fumbling with his phone, he finally checked the caller I.D. and pressed the button on it to answer. “Hello?”

“Hey Wallace, it's me, Holly.”

“Hi Holly. How have you been?”

“Okay, I guess. Has anything changed with Blake since this morning?”

“No.”

“Yeah, I didn't think so. Hey, Wallace?”

“Yeah?”

“I couldn't help but notice this morning, you're uh . . . not looking so well. Is everything okay with you?”

“Overall, I can't complain. I haven't been sleeping real well lately, that's all.” It wasn't entirely the truth, but it was close enough to not be a lie. His cancer was starting to get a real hold on him, Blake was in a coma because he had his men beat the living shit out of him, and Alice was taking over The Pit with lightning speed and ignoring him in the entire process. So yeah, he hadn't been sleeping well at all.

“Well, I was wondering if you would like to go out for a few drinks tonight, take some time to catch up with each other. We really haven't had the chance to talk since Christmas.” Wallace licked his lips as he considered his options. It would be nice to socialize outside of The Pit, but it might rile up Alice even more if he didn't go back and keep an eye on her.

“Let me make a few phone calls and I'll see if I can schedule you in. I'll call you right back.”

After hanging up, Wallace sat back down in his office chair and pulled out his other cell phone. He called Max and put him in charge of The Pit, reminding him of Sam's demotion, and then he called his favorite restaurant to reserve a table for seven. Picking up his regular cell, he dialed Holly back. “I took the liberty of getting us a table at The Station for seven. Will that work for you?”

“Sounds divine, see you then.” Holly replied, sounding completely agreeable to the matter. Smiling, Wallace hung up again and finished packing his things to leave for the day. At least now he'd have something to look forward to for the evening. It was going to be a nice change from having to watch and listen to Alice run around like a chicken with no head.

He decided to make a quick stop to see Alice before leaving for dinner. For as annoying as she was becoming, she was doing a great job, and Wallace felt he at least owed her a heads up that he would be absent for the night. Alice only nodded quickly as she bent over her work, silently acknowledging Wallace's excuse for his departure.

Frustrated, and feeling quite left out, Wallace threw his hands up in the air and left just as quickly as he had come. Alice was tuning him out more and more with every passing day, and his tolerance for it was swiftly diminishing. As much as he didn't want to put Alice back in her place, she was leaving him with fewer and fewer options. Wallace made the decision that they were going to have a nice long talk when he got back, and Alice was going to have to pay attention.

His evening with Holly went spectacularly well, all things considered, and he was a little surprised as to how much he missed going out. Wallace was careful not to drink too much, and watch what he touched. After a delicious meal and a few too many drinks on Holly's part, their waitress cleared their table and they sat back in their chairs and talked for almost two hours before calling it a night and parting ways. Holly seemed a bit disappointed when Wallace stood up to leave, and he could only assume that she had been expecting their night to continue on longer. But, Wallace knew he'd have to return to The Pit before it got too late.