Chapter Seventy-Five

Sam spent the rest of his day pouring over Alice's medical file that Holly had commandeered for him. There had to be something here to help him. The only thing that really seemed out of place was the strange schedule that Alice had been put on, her first day awake. There were dozens of tests to be done, all at the same time, but all for different doctors. Sam wrinkled his nose, trying to decipher everything. He'd have to ask Holly tonight for help; most of the medical terms and codes were alien to him.

Looking at his clock, Sam bolted out of his chair. He hadn't realized just how late it was, and if he didn't hurry, he'd be late for his second meeting with The Chairman. Already he knew things weren't looking good. He had been working undercover at The Pit for years, and the fact that he was going to a meeting with The Chairman for the second day in a row was not a good sign. It was like having to go to the principle's office after acting up in class. Only now instead of detention, it was life and death.

He made it to the warehouse with seconds to spare, almost breaking his key in the lock as he entered. Sam ran as fast as he could down the halls, tracing out the quickest route in his mind. After years of practically living here, he had the place memorized. Sam didn't stop running until he came face to face with The Chairman's office door. Panting and sweaty, Sam knocked. “Come in, Sam.” The Chairman responded through the door.

Sam parked himself down in the chair across from The Chairman, feeling more and more like a school boy than an undercover F.B.I. Agent / Deputy Sheriff / Councilman. “Sam, take a minute and catch your breath.” The Chairman said. “Need a drink?”

“No thank you, Sir.” The Chairman sat and waited for Sam to calm down a little before beginning again.

“What am I going to do with you, Sam? I've always thought of you as one of my best Councilmen, and now . . . I'm not sure.”

“Again Sir, I'm terribly sorry. It won't happen again.” Sam watched as The Chairman sat back in his chair and steepled his fingers under his chin. The Chairman clicked his tongue against his teeth for a few minutes, obviously deep in thought.

“Tell you what, Sam.” The Chairman said, finally breaking the awkwardness. “I'm stepping you down to an Agent for a while. For now, you'll lose all of your privileges as a Councilman, and I expect you to be on your best behavior. Work hard and gain back my trust, then we'll see about giving you back your seat on my Council. We'll talk again in a month or two. Sound good?”

“Of course, Sir. Again, I'm sorry for disappointing you.” Sam couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief as he realized what The Chairman was saying. Something had changed with The Chairman over the last day, but Sam didn't have the time now to think about it. All Sam knew was that he had been expecting to be either kicked out of the warehouse for good, or killed. It wasn't like The Chairman to get second chances to anyone. Then again, maybe it was.

“Nothing that can't be fixed later.”

“Thank you for being so understanding, Sir. I know I don't deserve it.” Sam wanted to roll his eyes, but decided against it. Sam rose from his chair. “Is there anything else you needed to talk to me about, Sir?”

“Just one. I was wondering if you knew anything about the F.B.I. agents that seem to be guarding our good friend Dr. Hansen.”

“No, Sir. I didn't know.” The Chairman nodded his head slowly and clicked his tongue again a few times. What an irritating sound, something that Sam was sure was completely subconscious to The Chairman.

“Do me a favor, Sam.” The Chairman said, stopping Sam dead in his tracks, half way out the door. “Go find Alice, see if she needs any help.”