Chapter Eighty-Nine

Chapter Eighty-Nine

“You okay?” Alice asked, trying to wipe the mascara off from under her eyes. Blake only watched her, giving Alice a sad smile before turning his head away. “Do you need something to write with?” Blake shook his head no. “I'm sorry for crying. It's been a long day.” Blake kept his eyes turned away from Alice, and she had half a notion to move her chair. It had been so long since she had seen those blue eyes that it pained her to see that he didn't want to look at her.

“Did I do something wrong?” She asked, standing up to move around the bed. Blake shook his head no and didn't complain when she turned to face him. After several minutes of near-awkward silence, Blake finally rasped out a groan and motioned for a pad and pencil. His hand shook violently as he hastily scribbled something down and then dropped the pen. Alice picked up the note pad from off of his lap and read the letters carefully. 'I thought you were someone else' was written down.

“You don't remember me?” She asked. Blake looked up, studied her face, and then shrugged his shoulders. He reached one hand up and pointed towards his eyes. “My eyes changed color a long time ago. I sometimes forget they used to be blue.” Blake motioned for the pad again and Alice quickly replaced it on his lap. 'Pretty now' he wrote. “They weren't before?” She asked, feigning being hurt. Blake shook his head and then let it drop to the pillow behind him. “You must be tired. Relax and take a break. Sorry though, I can't let you fall asleep for a few hours. Doctor's orders.” Blake left his eyes open, studying the ceiling above him.

After almost a full hour, he finally lifted his head again and gingerly picked up the pad and pen. Alice pulled herself out of her thoughts and sat up to wait for Blake to finish writing. 'Where am I?' He scribbled down. Alice stared at him in disbelief for a few seconds before answering. “You don't know where you are? This is St. Micheal's, Blake. You work here.” Blake shook his head and began furiously writing again. 'I know you.' He wrote, once again leaving Alice speechless. “I should hope so, Blake. It's me, Alice.” Blake seemed all the more upset as he stabbed the pen back down on the page. 'You are NOT Alice.' “Blake, I think I know my own name. You know you know me. Think back, remember? You were my doctor when I was a patient here.” Blake let out a silent sigh and dropped his head back down on the pillow.

“Do you mind if I talk?” Alice asked, settling back into her chair. Blake shook his head no and turned his head slowly to face her. “Blake, I know I shouldn't say anything if you really don't remember, but I get the feeling that you just don't want to remember. It's been just over three years now, you've been in a coma brought on by a severe beating from your friend. Do you remember Wallace?” Blake's eyes flashed with anger for a second, and Alice knew that he at least remembered the name. “He died a couple of years ago from cancer.” The anger in Blake's eyes died down to a low smolder. “Remember the day of Tess' funeral?” Blake nodded his head after a moment of thought. “You and I were on your motorcycle, and we crashed.” Blake nodded his head again and grabbed his paper. 'Your hair was shorter' he wrote.

Alice read his message and reached a hand up to the back of her head. The angel's halo dropped to the floor as Alice realized that her bun had come completely undone. With hair almost down to her thighs, it was a pain to keep under control. If it wasn't for everyone telling her how nice it was, she would have cut it years ago. “Yeah, a lot shorter, and I had blue eyes. But it's still me. Tell me you remember me. Please Blake.”

Blake studied Alice one more time before setting pen to paper once again. 'I remember your voice.' “I was here everyday once I was free from Wallace. Well, except for the trial. I talked to you a lot.” 'Why?' Blake wrote, handing over the pad to Alice. “Because . . . because I care about you.” For some reason Alice didn't have the heart to say the word 'love'.

A knock on the door interrupted Blake from writing something down on the next sheet of blank paper. Alice jumped up and answered the door. Dr. Nuardi and several nurses came in, checking to make sure that Blake was still fairing well. “Ah good.” Dr. Nuardi said, flashing his pen light into Blake's eyes. “You kept him awake. Pupils look good. Vitals look decent. How is his memory?”

“Not sure Dr. Nuardi. He seems to be a little foggy at this point.”

“Lets run an MRI and an EEG. Email me the results and I'll take a look at them before I go to bed.”

“Yes Sir.”

“And lets keep him awake for at least another three hours.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Merry Christmas, Alice.”

“Merry Christmas, Dr. Nuardi.” And with that, Dr. Nuardi and the horde of nurses disappeared through the door. Alice wasn't on the clock and she wasn't scheduled to work for the next thirty-six hours, but she ignored that and paged for an orderly. Within ten minutes they were on their way to give Blake his MRI. The EEG came next, and then they were back in the ICU. The next hour went by quickly, with nurses and staff filtering in and out to wish them both a good Christmas.

Blake didn't seem to recognize anyone who entered his room, making Alice more and more nervous about his mental condition. Most of the people who came in to wish them well had worked with Blake for years before his accident. They would both smile and nod their thanks, returning the well wishes, and shaking hands.

After almost an hour they were finally left alone again. Alice settled back down in her chair, enjoying the quiet. A quick check of the clock told Alice that it was just past eleven thirty. Knowing that Christmas was almost over, Alice cringed slightly. Christmas was her favorite holiday, and while this Christmas would go down in history as the absolute best Christmas ever, Alice didn't want it to end.

Alice looked over at Blake and found him fast asleep. He had another hour to go before he was supposed to be allowed to sleep, but Alice didn't have the heart to wake him back up. She stood up and tucked Blake into his bed. After turning off the lights and giving Blake a gentle kiss on his forehead, she snuggled back into her chair; getting cozy within seconds. Sleep came quickly to Alice once Blake's heavy breathing filled the silence of the room.