Chapter Fifty-Seven

Chapter Fifty-Seven

Alice awoke to the sound of footsteps. They were faint sounding over the hum of the fan above her and Blake's heads, but they reminded her of the same footsteps she used to hear during her captivity. Alice shook Blake awake as gently, but as quickly, as she could. In moments his eyes opened, and Alice held her finger up to her lips, indicating she wished for silence. Deep down, she knew something was happening, and survival had taught her to stay quiet. Blake nodded, hearing the footsteps too. There were at least three of them, maybe four, and Alice held three fingers up to Blake so he would know. Again he nodded, and she curled herself up into his chest for comfort as the footsteps stopped in front of their door.

The hinges on the metal door squealed as the door was pushed open. Four men dressed all the same came in. Each one was dressed in a black suit, almost as if they had attended the same funeral Alice and Blake had. Two stepped forward and reached down to grab Alice. She felt Blake's hands hold tight to her arm as the two men lifted her away. “No!” Blake screamed, frantically trying to hold on. Two against one though was no even match, and eventually the men tore her from the floor. Alice shot Blake a look, trying to convey her wish that he stay quiet.

One of the men spoke up. “The Chairman wishes to see you, Alice. Be a good girl and come with us.”

“I want to come too.” Blake said, trying to get up off the floor. Again Alice glared at him, but he was completely ignoring her.

“Don't worry. You're next.” The man said as he hoisted Alice over his shoulder. The other three men exited behind the man that was carrying her. They pulled the door shut the and bolted it in place, before they began their journey down a long hall. Every few feet a light bulb hung from the ceiling, showing them the way. Alice was thankful for the light, but was wary of it too.

'Don't get too comfy, Alice. Be good and wait.' Alice didn't like the fact that she was talking to herself again, something she had gotten used to doing in the dark. Still, this place was different enough from The Pit that Alice tried to not get too scared. The man took them all down the hall, turning at the last door and knocking on it. There was a muffled response and the man opened the door.

One chair sat in the middle of the room right underneath the single bulb that hung from the ceiling. The bulb cast a circle of brightness around the chair, but the rest of the room was dark. Alice couldn't see into the corners, but she knew someone was there. She was placed in the chair, and all but one of the men left. The one that remained was the biggest of the group, and Alice knew exactly what he was there to do. He stood by the door behind her, encased in the shadows and guarding the only exit.

A voice came to Alice's ears, echoing around the room. “Tsk tsk tsk, my poor, dear Alice. Whatever am I going to do with you?” Alice knew it was a question that was not meant to be answered, so she kept her mouth shut and stared at her feet. “You just had to go and ruin it, didn't you?” Again, she stayed silent. “I was happy to let you be. Happy to have you live a normal life. Happy to see you well. And then you fucked it all up.” Alice couldn't think of what she had done to incur the voice's wrath, but she knew he was angry and her silence seemed to only make him more irate. Still, she was too scared to talk, so Alice stayed quiet and hoped he would tell her what she had done.

“My only hope now is that a little time away will set you right again. Make you see the error of your ways.” His cryptic speech was driving Alice crazy, but there was nothing she could do to make him stop. “Maybe after some time with me, you'll learn your place. Learn that I am the only one.” He wasn't making sense, and Alice was starting to wonder if he ever would. “Do you wish to say something before we begin?” Alice looked up to the shadows, guessing she had a good idea as to where the voice was originating from. It was hard to tell, but she was pretty sure he was in the right corner in front of her. Alice opened her mouth, closed it, and opened it again. Trying to form the words she wanted to say.