Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

Blake had been sitting with Holly for what felt like hours as he put as much liquor down his throat as he could. The only reason he had agreed to come out with her was due to his empty liquor cabinet at home. He thought his mind was playing tricks on him when he began to imagine Alice's voice in his ear. He searched the crowd anyway, if only to confirm his hallucinations. He was shocked to find Alice sitting only a few tables away, and was more shocked to see her sitting with Wallace. Holly's voice trailed off as Blake watched Alice smile and laugh with Wallace. She looked happy and healthy, and his heart began to thump loudly in his chest as he watched Alice take her first sip of alcohol Blake began to stew as more and more drinks were brought to their table, and it was obvious that Wallace was trying to get her drunk. It was more obvious though, that his attempts were working.

Alice finally saw them after rudely pointing at Holly and screaming at Wallace for her name. Thankfully, Holly hadn't noticed and kept up her non-stop, one-way conversation with Blake. Alice's face turned pale as they locked eyes for the first time in a week, and Alice immediately excused herself and made a hasty retreat for the back of the bar.

“Holly, I need to pee. I'll be back. Wallace is just over there.” Blake said, pointing over to Wallace's table. “Why don't you go talk to him for a bit.”

“Yeah, sure.” Holly got up and pushed her way through the crowd to join up with Wallace. Blake made a bee line for the bathrooms, hoping to catch up to Alice on the way. Blake found her just as Alice was opening the door to the ladies room.

“Alice, wait!” Blake roared, knowing full well that Alice could hear him. Alice paused, and turned around to face him. A sad look washed over her face as she gave Blake a once-over. Blake knew he looked like hell, after a week of not really caring he probably looked homeless.

“You look terrible.” Alice said, as Blake pushed past the last few people and made it to Alice's side.

“Gee, thanks. You look good though.”

“Thanks.”

“Hey, listen. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you angry, but I understand why you are. Can you forgive me?” It wasn't the speech that Blake had planned to say, but his slurred sentences had summarized it pretty well.

“I don't know Dr. Hansen. I'm sorry.”

“I was a total asshole and you have every right to be mad. I guess I just got scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“Things moving too fast, I don't know. I'm too drunk to explain it right now. Why don't you come home and we'll talk in the morning.”

“I live with Tess now, and I have a job to start next week, and Wallace brought me. I don't think it would be nice to leave him here. Besides, you have Holly now too.”

“Fuck Holly, I only want you. And speaking of Wallace, he's a moron just trying to get into your pants. Leave him here, he deserves it.”

“Really Blake? That’s super mature of you. You know, this is exactly why I left. You had you're chance with me, and now you've lost it. You say we were moving too fast, but then you want me to move back in with you tonight. Wallace has been nothing but a gentleman and your friend, and now you want me to just pack up and leave him. Holly flew all the way from Seattle to come visit her fiance, and you treat her like a piece of garbage. I'm sorry Dr. Hansen, but you're crazy.”

“I'm serious Alice, he's getting you drunk so you'll have sex with him tonight. I can see it in his eyes.”

“So what? It's no different that what you did to me. Instead of drinks it was a shopping spree and a roof over my head. Every man will do it to me. They find out I'm some sort of sex slave and they do whatever it takes to get me into bed. You think I'm blind?”